Inventory&Clothing Overhaul Suggestion

maxim4eg

Hello everybody! Please don't judge me for my english and drawing skills :)

post-5758-0-20799200-1387200113_thumb.pn

The picture(which i found on the internet and added some things) shows:

1. Main inventory(holders for the knife and bat, pistol holster).

2. Your pockets and bag or "big hiking bag" if you insist. :) It can be on your secondary hand, on the back or both(as is done now).

The Suggestion on the picture:

1. Gives you quick access to your weapons just like in real life. You can just drag knife or bat (or other weapon you can find and put in your main inventory) to hand, smash zombie head or maybe carve fish and animals with your knife.

2. To open the inventory you need to click on the pocket/bag. Menu pops up and shows your loot.

3. You don't need to keep crafting ingredients in your "box".

4. Pocket opens quickly. But it needs time to open your bag.

More about pockets:

1. When you start a new game, all you have is your clothes with some pockets. And maybe a little bag or not.

2. There are different sizes of pockets. Lets say small, medium and large.

3. Not all loot can be put in your pocket. Example: you can't put camping tent in your jeans :)

4. There are a different clothes which might have different number of pockets.

I understand that it needs a lot of work to put this idea into reality. But inventory is very important thing in games like this.

I guess that's all. Hope you liked it.

I do like this idea. Gives us a way to carry small items for immediate use on our person (say, all pockets and any ammo pouches/fanny-packs/etc all share the same inventory window, with ammunition/water bottles being used without having to pull them out), and could be used to show all the bag statistics at a glance (e.g: Left Hand: Plastic bag 6/8, effective weight 3. Total carry weight 8/10)

You would still need to click on an icon to access a bag on your back or in your hand, but, we do that already. Only problem i could see, is potentially over-complicating the inventory window with extra stuff...

Still! I like this. if done right, the net effect would be a quicker way to see inventory/bag stats at a glance, the ability to carry and use small items without having to dig them out of a bag, and you would STILL need to click on a carried bag to rummage through it.

I do like this idea. Gives us a way to carry small items for immediate use on our person (say, all pockets and any ammo pouches/fanny-packs/etc all share the same inventory window, with ammunition/water bottles being used without having to pull them out), and could be used to show all the bag statistics at a glance (e.g: Left Hand: Plastic bag 6/8, effective weight 3. Total carry weight 8/10)

You would still need to click on an icon to access a bag on your back or in your hand, but, we do that already. Only problem i could see, is potentially over-complicating the inventory window with extra stuff...

Still! I like this. if done right, the net effect would be a quicker way to see inventory/bag stats at a glance, the ability to carry and use small items without having to dig them out of a bag, and you would STILL need to click on a carried bag to rummage through it.

Yeah, the main idea is to make your weapons and pockets quickly accessible. Pockets can be self-organized, like its done with water.

It needs time to take off your bag and open it.

There was a inventory thread here:http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/3968-inventory-management-fun-vs-realism/?hl=inventory

Might want to x-post this.

This reminds me of the Dayz Standalone interface.

dayz-standalone-september-03.jpg

I personaly would like an inventory using grid squares, like this:

Inventory.png

I want to add size attribute to items just to determine if it fits your pocket. Grids are cool, yeah, but dayz already have it. And you dont need to press button to open your inventory, its already on the screen. I always play with opened caracter window just to have a quick look if i have a scratch. I dont want to miss the moment to bandage myself. And to that window devs could add the inventory part. Maybe its stupid.

I would love to have a grid style system, would be easier to code as well.  And does it really matter if a game has already used a similar inventory system? As long as it isn't a complete copy its fine. I mean there are only a limited number of viable inventory systems. 

I was just using these as an example.

I would love to have a grid style system, would be easier to code as well.  And does it really matter if a game has already used a similar inventory system? As long as it isn't a complete copy its fine. I mean there are only a limited number of viable inventory systems. 

Well, i guess similar inventory system is not that bad. It depends on the devs point of view of course. Maybe they already have great ideas to make their own, completely new inventory system. Or maybe they don't want to bother with this and just borrow the idea from the another game

• 3 weeks later...

Ok now that im not half asleap the second image Fj45 posted was from a game the lancher showed me called Neo Scavenger, the Image shows the invintory system but the healing system uses that same interface showing the brusing and the cut's you have on your body so you visualy can check how bad your injuries are, small cuts, where the pain is (little lightning bolts), what cuts are still bleeding , ect. with thing affectings you that can't be seen listed on the side like being overloaded that put's a strain on your body or cripling injuries that limit what you can carry, because that game was noted in the launcher I think the Dev are going to roll out the invintoy and health updates very close to each other.

That's why the NeoScavenger fellow has been working on the grid, on more often than not, for the past year. It's  just so trivial. O.o

Firstly, I agree with this idea as a mod, yes, but we won't be seeing it in vanilla. The Devs have stated against it (according to nasKo).

Secondly. There are at least 5 other threads about inventory overhauls. In this one I suggested almost the same exact idea as this one.

Here's a few others.

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/2095-inventory-too-much-space/

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/830-inventory-weight-and-bulkiness/

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/860-inventory-system

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/613-inventory-idea/page-2

Should really be added to the commonly suggested suggestions list...

That's why the NeoScavenger fellow has been working on the grid, on more often than not, for the past year. It's  just so trivial. O.o

Wouldn't it generally be less buggy though?