Item Organization: Containers within containers

Outragedparker

After a read through the common suggested, suggestion compilation, and after a forum search for this, I was surprised not see it. Let me know if this suggestion has been posted or exists, if not then here is the suggestion.

I want to see a bit better organization with inventories with specific items. As an example, take for example nails, while it's not unheard of to find a few wayward nails laying around, in most (or expected) cases they will be found in a box in which they were sold in.

Now there are a number of items in game that fall under this example such as teabags, matches, bandages/band-aids, and even foods such as eggs or peas (i.e. Egg carton, measure a cup of peas from the bag).

The idea here is, I would like to see inventories insides of an inventory, say you open the box of nails that's inside the draw and take out how so many nails you need.

I understand that there will be a lot of inventory changes to expect as the game progresses, but I didn't see any suggestions for it, and even though it's a small change, it could be extremely useful for organization, carry weight management, and could open way for unconventional uses such as hiding certain items in unexpected places (i.e. ammo in the carton of cigarettes).

Just overall make things more sensible than shoving a pile of 400 or so nails into a crate along with everything else in there.

It's an ok idea imo but the big problem with this is clutter. If you get your nails, cigarettes, eggs etc. out of the containers (which you will eventually) your gonna have a pile of containers that have no use and clutter up the inventory spaces. On the other hand I would like to see for example nails in openable containers like the seeds are at the moment. Maybe a pack of 20 nails would be an ok amount (in warehouses and rarely in smaller storages) as they are quite used anyway. I'm not that into using the packages as containers (altough in real life I'm thinking of buying a guitar amp inside a cigarette box which is awesome), but I can see the fun uses with these minicontainers.

I mean, I think trash is unavoidable in reality, it gets over complicated if every item has a specific use. It would make things more dynamic of course, but at best your pile of micro containers that have no use could be used for kindling or compost as Kajin points out.

I think that it is somewhat true about the trash being unavoidable (also in game already). But I don't know about the container slide (which has all of your bags etc. next to the inventory) this might get clogged up. Do you have any ideas for this? Don't get me wrong I like this idea. I'm just trying to get some conversation. I like the kindling idea it would avoid the trash problem in many ways. It could be even expanded to magazines, books etc. to be burned in fires.

But yeah I think we need more smaller containers like boxes and paper bags etc. for sorting. And as a smoker I did twitch a bit when i saw that the cigarettes had to be picked up one by one.

Maybe we should discuss some ideas to sort conversion so it doesn't clog up like you said, I already sometimes find that when looting the warehouse I need to adjust my container window to be longer so I can see all the crates icons.

Maybe it would be nice to see some sort of blades or sub drop down menus (drop down menus similar to what we find when checking durability).

Actually thinking on this now, when using the drop down menu to see all the items in a stack, could it be possible to have all of the containers contents displayed instead of just each individual item of the stack? So the bag instead of acting like just as a container, it would act as a stack of items. If you look at clothing for example, even though lots of clothing are different colors, they stack anyways and you can only pick and choose which color of that clothing you want by using the drop down item durability menu.

I noticed in game with the carpentry skill books that once you start reading one of the books, and then put it back into the container you have the other same skill book in,we that these two same items are no longer stacked together because of their different item values (one of these things isn't like the other!).

The reason I'm mention this is because there may be concern on having multiple same item containers also being stacked even if one of them has items in it already. I discovered this in the main inventory when sorting my bags, they stack even though they have different contents/weight/values as inventories, but they aren't treated as items that change item values like skill books.

I think this might be achievable in this way making use of already in game mechanics. Thoughts? Ideas?

why not just have it set so that the micro container can only carry its specific object? instead of 20 nails having an encumberment value of 20 (random value) if the 20 are in a box it becomes 10 (even if inside a bigger container such as a backpack it reduces it further)but you can only store nails in that box that way ridiculous stuff like the aforementioned guitar in a tiny box doesn't happen.