The Ultimate Newbiod

Jatta Pake

I thought I'd introduce myself as I'm brand new to the game.  Thank you Steam!

About Me:

You do not want me in your group when the zombie apocalypse breaks out.  I am utterly clueless.  If I don't kill you out of my own ineptitude, I am guaranteed to get you eaten by zombies.  Stay away from me or put a mercy bullet in my melon.  I ain't useful.

This is what I've learned so far in Project Zomboid.

My first character, James, woke up in a cheap motel without a shirt.  After looting the entire zombie- free building he ran outside to get more loot.  James really wanted a shirt, so he sprinted over to grab a nice button down from the unmoving corpse laying in the middle of the street.  First problem: A duffle bag full of random stuff weighs you down and James could barely move.  Second problem: The corpse COULD STILL MOVE AND ATTACK!  AHHHHH!

The third problem proved to be James last problem.  While staggering away from the approaching walkers, James was cut off from the motel.  James tried to make it to a nice solid brick building but a zombie Usain Bolt proved too fast to escape.  James died screaming, "How do you fight them?"

My second character, Barbara, heard about James.  She decided her first priority was to figure out how to take down a zombie.  She found a golf club and headed outside to make a hole-in-one zombie's head.

Barbara sustained brutal injuries while fighting a lone walker in her backyard.  Apparently, the correct use of the mouse buttons helps with fighting the undead.  Barbara eventually figured it out but got pretty tore up.  Feeling more confident with her fighting skills, she went to her neighbor's house to find her friend Susan, who is a nurse.  Sadly, Susan and her boyfriend, Chip, were now cannibalistic corpses.

Barbara did marginally better fighting Susan and Chip.  She re-killed them both and figured out she could make bandages from Susan's bed sheets.  At this point in the game, Barbara decided to take a break and figure out what to do next.

Newboid Questions:

* Can zombies break down doors or get in through windows?

* What should Barbara focus on next for survival?  

+ Should she loot the neighborhood and stockpile the stuff in her house?  

+ Do zombies randomly spawn or can she kill off the lone zombies one by one in her neighborhood making the surrounding area safer?

+ Should Barbara try to find a better location to survive?  The house seems nice enough although it is small.  It was all Barbara could afford being unemployed.

* Can zombies break down doors or get in through windows?

* What should Barbara focus on next for survival?  

+ Should she loot the neighborhood and stockpile the stuff in her house?  

+ Do zombies randomly spawn or can she kill off the lone zombies one by one in her neighborhood making the surrounding area safer?

+ Should Barbara try to find a better location to survive?  The house seems nice enough although it is small.  It was all Barbara could afford being unemployed.

Welcome! I'm glad you're enjoying the game!

Yes, they can break down the windows and doors! Best be careful!

Zombies do not randomly spawn that are moved around by the Meta game. However there can be bugs that cause zombies to appear where they shouldn't be. Not sure if these have been addressed yet.

As for survival tips I'll let my fellow survivors handle those. As I die to often to be of any use here.

My first priority would be find and secure a good safe-house. Close all the curtains, if there aren't any make some from sheets. If you don't have enough you'll have to loot them. 

And then looting the houses immediately surrounding your safe house. As much food as you can find, try to find a decent bag so you can carry more, find a decent weapon. And make sure nothing follows you back to your safe house. 

* Can zombies break down doors or get in through windows? yes

* What should Barbara focus on next for survival? food and weapons also hammers, nails, a trovel, sheets also if you find an axe save it if you really want to use it cut trees first like 20 or 30 for later use (cutting trees down does not damage the axe)

+ Should she loot the neighborhood and stockpile the stuff in her house?  :yes (carefully)

+ Do zombies randomly spawn or can she kill off the lone zombies one by one in her neighborhood making the surrounding area safer? :they don't respawn but they are usually drawn back into that area by meta game events

+ Should Barbara try to find a better location to survive?  The house seems nice enough although it is small.  It was all Barbara could afford being unemployed. :the best spot (that i found) is here http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.55711312578198,0.1963256556184997,359.7883597883599

Oooohhh!  Thanks fellow survivors!  I didn't know you could make curtains out of bed sheets.  More dumb follow up Newboid questions:  

* Can Zombies break down doors and windows that have been boarded up?

* I've messed around with Dwarf Fortress before so I know "Losing is Fun!"  I take it Project Zomboid is in the same vein meaning your character will eventually die but the goal is to see how long you can survive.  This is correct, right?  There is no final boss to beat or end of game, you just keep surviving until you don't, right?

* Another question about spawning: I'm not sure I understand what is meant by the Meta game events.  Are these random?  Or are these time triggered events that just happen?  I love Gnomoria which is a Dwarf Fortress inspired game (if you've never heard of either check them out).  In Gnomoria, the toughness of the events are generated by the overall "Kingdom Worth" of the fortress you've built.  So the weaker the kingdom the weaker the attackers.  Anything like this in PZ?

Oooohhh!  Thanks fellow survivors!  I didn't know you could make curtains out of bed sheets.  More dumb follow up Newboid questions:  

* Can Zombies break down doors and windows that have been boarded up?

* I've messed around with Dwarf Fortress before so I know "Losing is Fun!"  I take it Project Zomboid is in the same vein meaning your character will eventually die but the goal is to see how long you can survive.  This is correct, right?  There is no final boss to beat or end of game, you just keep surviving until you don't, right?

* Another question about spawning: I'm not sure I understand what is meant by the Meta game events.  Are these random?  Or are these time triggered events that just happen?  I love Gnomoria which is a Dwarf Fortress inspired game (if you've never heard of either check them out).  In Gnomoria, the toughness of the events are generated by the overall "Kingdom Worth" of the fortress you've built.  So the weaker the kingdom the weaker the attackers.  Anything like this in PZ?

Yes eventually they will get you. Only thing atm that they cant break is player-built walls. But i guess thats gonna change in the future.

Yes. YOU WILL DIE! No endgame or bosses afaik.

Leaving the last question to someone else. woob woob

Welcome to the game Jatta. Don't worry about sucking at the game. I still really suck at the game and I bought into the game during pre-alpha.

To answer your questions:

-Yes zombies can break down boarded up windows and doors, it just takes a lot longer

-There is no final boss or special type of zombie, only the shamblers you know and love. Running into a horde can be troublesome though... There is no ultimate objective to the game besides to survive for as long as you can

- My understanding of meta-game events is as follows. There are certain events that can randomly occur  that are either random or triggered by the player. Random events include hearing other people's gunshots (there are no NPC's yet in the game but the gunshot event still sometimes triggers) and helicopter/jet fly-overs that attract A LOT of zombies to wherever the source of noise came from. Player triggered events include the random burglar alarms that can go off when you break into a house, as well as breaking down windows and doors, and there may be others that Im not sure of. You can also attract zombies at night by having your house lights on. So keep those lights off and the curtains closed or you'll have a horde come visit you one morning. Also always shut your door when you leave the safehouse and try to never lead any zombies back to your house as this can attract the attention of more zombies.

-Also as far as I know, the game has no way to detect the "value" of your safehouse. The number of zombies that attacks your house is usually a direct correlation with how careless you are, with a few random events sprinkled in.

My advice to you: drink the bleach. It's yummy! (on a serious note, DO NOT DRINK THE BLEACH) Also only shoot guns in an absolute emergency, sinc ethey usually make things worse than not shooting.

Thanks all!

I put Barbara on hold and started a new game as Sam, an older construction worker with a bad attitude and a drinking problem.  Sam lived in a trailer park and didn't have any weapons.  He snuck around the trailer park breaking into homes looking to find a weapon, and he eventually found a fork.

Deciding enough was enough, Sam equipped his fork and decided to take out a few walkers.  It was a terrible decision. Sam was quickly overpowered by a zombified lot manager named Steve.  Steve was a 98 pound weakling when he lived, but the zombification gave him super-human strength.  Sam lived eight hours before zombie Steve ripped his face off and devoured his neck and throat meat.

Jose awoke a few hours later.  Jose lived in a trailer two over from Sam and had been staying indoors since the emergency was declared.  Jose worked with Sam at the construction jobs and he could be counted as one of Sam's few friends.

Jose has been surviving well.  He found a frying pan and began dispatching walkers one by one.  Jose eventually ran into zombie Steve and bashed his brains out.  He also found the recently deceased body of Sam, or rather the headless corpse of who he believes was Sam.

Jose has moved into the lot manager's small brick house near the entrance to the community.  Jose has killed roughly 14 walkers and looted several trailers and a farm house.  With ample trees and ground for planting, Jose has begun the work of setting up his new safe house.  He has found a nice collection of books on Farming, Carpentry, and Cooking.  Even better, zombie Roscoe came shambling out of the woods one morning..  Roscoe was the community security guard and has provided Jose with a pistol.

Fellow Newb here, I came onboard with Steam over the weekend.

OMG this game rocks.

I killed a few characters getting the hang of things.  My set up:

1.  I am playing in the smaller starter town.  On about Day 4 now.  Blunt 2, Edge 1, Sprint 1, Carpentry 1, Farming 1.  Does it matter which town I use?

2.  I have my 1st safe house set in the Timbermill (farthest building to the NE), though I do not plan on this being my "base" of operations.  This place is gold mine for building materials, tools, food, secure housing, viable land for crops close to the base, etc.  I have fortified, set up rain barrels and even tried my hand at farming (radishs FTW).  It seems REALLY far removed and I do a quick 360 around the area for deadheads daily (to make sure they dont build up on me).  Is this a "good" statagy or should I be doing something else?

3.  How do you "cook" food?  It says put stuff in the over (or whatever) and right click on the oven.  Nada.

4.  Can we preserve the food we harvest?  Root Cellar?  Smoker?  Etc.  Does food we collect go bad?

5.  If we are on a point "on high", can we shoot down on the deadheads?  Right now my weapons are shotgun and sawed off shotgun.  I have a few pistols and ammo, but I cant seem to fire the pistol.  Maybe my shooting skills need to be improved.

6.  Is there more than ONE save?  I ask because I had one character in the larger starting town and made it to Day 2.  Then the game crashed.  My save said "crash_crash", or some such, and the game would not load :(

7.  Water.  I know the water will turn off eventually.  Are established water sources (office cooler) good forever?  Do they have so many uses?  Can the water go south?

8.  Do we have to worry about water we collect?  Can water in a rain barrel go bad or be bad?  I have heard talk about rivers and such, not that I have seen it.  Is that safe?  Do we need to boil it somehow?

I know, a lot of questions.  I like that this is "jump in feet first" game.  I really do.  However, I do not want to go 10 to 20 days down the road and die of dysentery that could have been prevented (boiling water or adding bleach), stocking piling food that is going to go bad or losing a perfectly great character to a crash.

Thanks in advance!!!

BTW, my house right now is here...

http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.5212375756604725,0.16941415746148994,115.97392896154051

Hello fellow surnewbalists.

Im a german Steamigrant and joined at the weekend. I first read about PZ on greenlight. Besides surviving im mostly researching the forums because i seem to have missed some years :(

In hope to contribute someday.

By now my late 20s construction worker Alex survived 6 days. I recently pulled off a whole safe house transfer to a farm in the middle of a forrest. I guess Alex seems to have some sort of gentlemen's agreement with the zombies about "live and let be dead...or so" because by now there wasn't any big threat.

I ones fired a Pistol near a highway but even that wasn't that big of a deal. After i shot another 20 or so zombies the rest decided to cuddle with the remains instead of coming for me. Maybe im not tasty enough? :(

By now im starting to work on farming, because i fear that my full fridge won't feed me forever.

My biggest questions by now would be:

1.Why am i not tasty enough for the zombies?

I set them to proper zombies with normal numbers.

2. Do zombies enjoy hopping through windows that much, that they always forget to attack me and continue with the jumping? When they break through they are so busy jumping in and out that i can just walk out the front door.

3. Is my game just hardcore buggy or is every version like this? Im considering to start off new with eagle eye bloodhound pinpoint sprinters to get them to a challenging level by now :(

4. Yeah...how does cooking work?

Greetings from my little farm

A.k.a. stronghold of despair ^^

Daec

@Jatta i like your writing style :D

2. Do zombies enjoy hopping through windows that much, that they always forget to attack me and continue with the jumping? When they break through they are so busy jumping in and out that i can just walk out the front door

This is VERY true.  I have used this to my advantage by putting a window near a choke point.  The zeds jump through and I let them have it.  They then either jump back out the window (OMG, he has an axe!), trys to back up (OMG, he has an axe!) or falls down and dies (yes, I have an axe).  However, if they want to play hop-scotch and give me a few more seconds to get a good bead on their head... so be it.

2. Do zombies enjoy hopping through windows that much, that they always forget to attack me and continue with the jumping? When they break through they are so busy jumping in and out that i can just walk out the front door

This is VERY true. I have used this to my advantage by putting a window near a choke point. The zeds jump through and I let them have it. They then either jump back out the window (OMG, he has an axe!), trys to back up (OMG, he has an axe!) or falls down and dies (yes, I have an axe). However, if they want to play hop-scotch and give me a few more seconds to get a good bead on their head... so be it.

Yeah but you have to admit, it eliminates the "OH MY GOD IM TRAPPED IN A BUILDING SURROUNDED BY ZOMBIES" feeling pretty hard. It's more like "oh...an alarm...zombie hop-scotch into my axe time...WEEEEE":D

Yeah but you have to admit, it eliminates the "OH MY GOD IM TRAPPED IN A BUILDING SURROUNDED BY ZOMBIES" feeling pretty hard. It's more like "oh...an alarm...zombie hop-scotch into my axe time...WEEEEE":D

I would say that zombies tend to act different from time to time. When they are few in numbers they usually fool around.

But get an alarm started in the center of town and its like hell broke loose on earth. Less windowplaying and more zergrush kekekekekeke!

3.  How do you "cook" food?  It says put stuff in the over (or whatever) and right click on the oven.  Nada.

Step 1: Get something "uncooked"...

Step 2: Put that "something" in an oven.

Step 3: right-click on the oven and select "turn on".

Step 4: Watch it cook (learn cooking times, they don't change... popcorn is VERY VERY fast)

**Step 4.1: (by "watch it cook" I mean leave the cursor hovered over the item.  You'll see it turn red, and eventually the name will change to "cooked")

Step 5: TURN OFF THE OVEN

Step 6: remove your cooked food.

If you overcook, it'll burn.  If you over-burn, it'll start a fire and burn your safehouse and all your valuable collected stuff.

Some of the best cooked foods right now are soups (wiki has recipes).

There is a step-by-step soup guide posted here:

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/2880-help-me-make-soup/?hl=soup

This is VERY true. I have used this to my advantage by putting a window near a choke point. The zeds jump through and I let them have it. They then either jump back out the window (OMG, he has an axe!), trys to back up (OMG, he has an axe!) or falls down and dies (yes, I have an axe). However, if they want to play hop-scotch and give me a few more seconds to get a good bead on their head... so be it.

But isn't that what the whole games about? Atleast in my opinion working towards having the least danger and most comfort is the thing that keeps me going.

But isn't that what the whole games about? Atleast in my opinion working towards having the least danger and most comfort is the thing that keeps me going.

The Zombie Horror genera as a whole comes down to one great tune, "Its the end of the world as we know it."  Adapt and overcome.  Like the Walking Dead.  It is not just about 99.5% of the human population is gone, Man vs Nature.  We then have Man vs Zombies and maybe even Man vs Man (rubs hands for upcoming patches) or Player vs Player (MMO)

Crawling back from the brink is the ultimate heroic story.... we are all gonna die (by tooth and nail, infection, disease, or just old age).  What we do between now and then... that is what makes it!  The more options the devs can give us to make it more realistic, just adds more drama to the story.

The Zombie Horror genera as a whole comes down to one great tune, "Its the end of the world as we know it." Adapt and overcome. Like the Walking Dead. It is not just about 99.5% of the human population is gone, Man vs Nature. We then have Man vs Zombies and maybe even Man vs Man (rubs hands for upcoming patches) or Player vs Player (MMO)

Crawling back from the brink is the ultimate heroic story.... we are all gonna die (by tooth and nail, infection, disease, or just old age). What we do between now and then... that is what makes it! The more options the devs can give us to make it more realistic, just adds more drama to the story.

To be honest. This whole PvP thing is the most gamebreaking to me in this kind of game. Not because of carebearing or such. It's simply that this whole "intrigues" and "who can you trust" soapopera thing is pretty damn immersion breaking.

To make this clear for a second. Honestly if, like you said, 99.5% of the world are zombies, it is ONLY "us" vs. "them". Every single one human beeing is important at that point just to make sure our species can survive. Plus every single human beeing is one of "us" to fight, scavange, fix and Support. So if we still manage to be stupid enough to kill each other for simple minor shit like a can of beans or painkillers we pretty much prove only 3 things.

1. We are to stupid to foresee that this one man/woman i killed for a can of beans, could on it's own have been able to plant a damn field of beans for "us".

2. Zombies are better human beeings than we are.

3. We don't deserve to survive.

And this romantic illusion of the lone wolf, surviving against all odds is pretty ridiculous. Because if the lone wolf would be the ultimate last man standing (pretty unrealistic), he can then go an kill himself because there is nothing left worth to keep living.

Thats the reason PvP is the last thing im looking forward to. Of course it should be possible, cause death by accident should be possible. Just the PvP as idea is nothing i will enjoy, cause to me survival is cooperation, not competition.

To be honest. This whole PvP thing is the most gamebreaking to me in this kind of game. Not because of carebearing or such. It's simply that this whole "intrigues" and "who can you trust" soapopera thing is pretty damn immersion breaking.

To make this clear for a second. Honestly if, like you said, 99.5% of the world are zombies, it is ONLY "us" vs. "them". Every single one human beeing is important at that point just to make sure our species can survive. Plus every single human beeing is one of "us" to fight, scavange, fix and Support. So if we still manage to be stupid enough to kill each other for simple minor shit like a can of beans or painkillers we pretty much prove only 3 things.

1. We are to stupid to foresee that this one man/woman i killed for a can of beans, could on it's own have been able to plant a damn field of beans for "us".

And this romantic illusion of the lone wolf, surviving against all odds is pretty ridiculous. Because if the lone wolf would be the ultimate last man standing (pretty unrealistic), he can then go an kill himself because there is nothing left worth to keep living.

Thats the reason PvP is the last thing im looking forward to. Of course it should be possible, cause death by accident should be possible. Just the PvP as idea is nothing i will enjoy, cause to me survival is cooperation, not competition.

I am going to start with this...

It is true.  You can speak about higher ideals all you want.  However, the animal level instincts kick in when the chips are down and rational thought has nothing to do with it.  Let me set the stage...

You have a group of people (maybe your family, maybe not).  You need a thing to survive (lets say it is bleach for water purification).  Some other person has it and that person does not trust you and does not want to be in your fold.  What do you do?  Another scenario, you are tired and have not eaten in days.  Night is falling and the zombies are on the prowl.  You come into a house, bolt the door and draw the curtains.  You walk to the back of the house and discover someone else has done the same thing.  You have a bloody golf club clutched in your fingers and this other soul has a crowbar.  Upon the counter sits a few cans of food and a can opener.  You see fear in his eyes and you know he can see the hunger in yours.

So the slide begins.  Leaders have to sacrifice for the greater good.  Leaders who are not willing to make the tough calls are not leaders.  People forced to survive fall into two categories, predator and prey.  We can make nice around the fire from a point of strength or if we are all fat, dumb and happy in someplace dry.  The vainer of civilization is T H I N.

Now put PvP into place in a perfect system and this could work out.  However, since there is nothing really lost from the PvP's death... they can do what they darn well please.  If the chips are down (in their mind at any rate), then killing you is a win for them.  If they die, the chips were already down.  They make another character and come back in.  Also, if you can have PvP then players are going to form guilds, which means even when they do die, they can join the fold and be outfitted all over again.  Sure they may not be as skilled, but griefers usually could care less about that.  They are just getting their sociopath jollies on but putting an axe into another players back.

I would not like to be a dev who is trying to balance the MMO with PvP.  The amount lost and the amount gained are equally huge for this end of the world game.

It is true. You can speak about higher ideals all you want. However, the animal level instincts kick in when the chips are down and rational thought has nothing to do with it. Let me set the stage...

You have a group of people (maybe your family, maybe not). You need a thing to survive (lets say it is bleach for water purification). Some other person has it and that person does not trust you and does not want to be in your fold. What do you do? Another scenario, you are tired and have not eaten in days. Night is falling and the zombies are on the prowl. You come into a house, bolt the door and draw the curtains. You walk to the back of the house and discover someone else has done the same thing. You have a bloody golf club clutched in your fingers and this other soul has a crowbar. Upon the counter sits a few cans of food and a can opener. You see fear in his eyes and you know he can see the hunger in yours.

So the slide begins. Leaders have to sacrifice for the greater good. Leaders who are not willing to make the tough calls are not leaders. People forced to survive fall into two categories, predator and prey. We can make nice around the fire from a point of strength or if we are all fat, dumb and happy in someplace dry. The vainer of civilization is T H I N.

Now put PvP into place in a perfect system and this could work out. However, since there is nothing really lost from the PvP's death... they can do what they darn well please. If the chips are down (in their mind at any rate), then killing you is a win for them. If they die, the chips were already down. They make another character and come back in. Also, if you can have PvP then players are going to form guilds, which means even when they do die, they can join the fold and be outfitted all over again. Sure they may not be as skilled, but griefers usually could care less about that. They are just getting their sociopath jollies on but putting an axe into another players back.

I would not like to be a dev who is trying to balance the MMO with PvP. The amount lost and the amount gained are equally huge for this end of the world game.

And so we prove the 3 things mentioned above.

I didn't want to say "no pvp" or such things. It's just the missing of consequences that i.e. lead DayZ to become a simple deathmatch on a damn big map, even though it had more potential aswell. Maybe if mental stability and some sort of group dynamic get's implemented it could work out better for PZ than just many people running around, killing other "survivors" for the heck of it. Plus...zombies in PZ are greater danger than in DayZ what may play in aswell.

It is true. You can speak about higher ideals all you want. However, the animal level instincts kick in when the chips are down and rational thought has nothing to do with it. Let me set the stage...

You have a group of people (maybe your family, maybe not). You need a thing to survive (lets say it is bleach for water purification). Some other person has it and that person does not trust you and does not want to be in your fold. What do you do? Another scenario, you are tired and have not eaten in days. Night is falling and the zombies are on the prowl. You come into a house, bolt the door and draw the curtains. You walk to the back of the house and discover someone else has done the same thing. You have a bloody golf club clutched in your fingers and this other soul has a crowbar. Upon the counter sits a few cans of food and a can opener. You see fear in his eyes and you know he can see the hunger in yours.

So the slide begins. Leaders have to sacrifice for the greater good. Leaders who are not willing to make the tough calls are not leaders. People forced to survive fall into two categories, predator and prey. We can make nice around the fire from a point of strength or if we are all fat, dumb and happy in someplace dry. The vainer of civilization is T H I N.

Now put PvP into place in a perfect system and this could work out. However, since there is nothing really lost from the PvP's death... they can do what they darn well please. If the chips are down (in their mind at any rate), then killing you is a win for them. If they die, the chips were already down. They make another character and come back in. Also, if you can have PvP then players are going to form guilds, which means even when they do die, they can join the fold and be outfitted all over again. Sure they may not be as skilled, but griefers usually could care less about that. They are just getting their sociopath jollies on but putting an axe into another players back.

I would not like to be a dev who is trying to balance the MMO with PvP. The amount lost and the amount gained are equally huge for this end of the world game.

And so we prove the 3 things mentioned above.

I didn't want to say "no pvp" or such things. It's just the missing of consequences that i.e. lead DayZ to become a simple deathmatch on a damn big map, even though it had more potential aswell. Maybe if mental stability and some sort of group dynamic get's implemented it could work out better for PZ than just many people running around, killing other "survivors" for the heck of it. Plus...zombies in PZ are greater danger than in DayZ what may play in aswell.

Agreed.  When PvP starts, you can join my guild.  You seem like a sharp fellow.  You take point... I got your back ;)

Archived