Generator fuel usage

giltirn

I posted this on the forums yesterday but I got no responses. However I figure at least someone here is sufficiently knowledgeable to clear up my misunderstanding of how generators work.

Can anyone explain the generator fuel usage because the wiki entry makes very little sense to me. The wiki suggests that the fuel usage is related to the number of devices connected and the numbers are presented as a flat %/device/day. But what does this actually mean?

Consider a microwave, which apparently consumes 11%/day. Do I have to cook using the microwave for a full 24 hours for it to consume that gas? Does it then consume only 0.076% of a tank if I use it only to heat up 1 meal for 10 game minutes? Or does the calculation *only* consider the number of devices and not whether those devices are actually being used?

If it doesn't matter whether the device is being used, this means that if I have a washer, dryer, microwave, TV, oven and fridge in my house, those will all be drawing power even if they are not turned on!? Does that then mean that I have to destroy all the unwanted devices in my house (and my neighbors houses because apparently it connects in a 20 tiles radius!) so as not to go through a tank a day of gas when all I want to use is the oven and fridge?

I read that one previously but I still found it hard to understand. After reading it again it does seem that it is indeed the number of devices connected, regardless of whether they are on or not. As such I'm going to have to rip out all the devices in my house but the fridge and over, and do the same for the neighbors house to be sure. I hope this mechanic gets revisited as it is very obscure and completely nonsensical for anyone who has even a basic knowledge of electricity.

4 hours ago, giltirn said:

I read that one previously but I still found it hard to understand. After reading it again it does seem that it is indeed the number of devices connected, regardless of whether they are on or not. As such I'm going to have to rip out all the devices in my house but the fridge and over, and do the same for the neighbors house to be sure. I hope this mechanic gets revisited as it is very obscure and completely nonsensical for anyone who has even a basic knowledge of electricity.

In fact there is a wierd consumption that goes high only with particular amount of devices attached. - 5 10 20 etc

For example, if you hover on "generator info" it shows the same amount consumed for 1 fridge + outdoor lamp as 1 fridge + popsicle fridge + 3 outdoor lamps.

From my tests little devices like microwave oven do not increase overall consumption.
At this very moment my base has: 1 big dridge, 2 popsicle friges, washing machine, 4 outdoor lamps, but generator consumes default amount of fuel.

But once i attach second big fridge or 6th outdoor lamp, generator shows increased amount of consumption and drains fuel faster just by looks.

Not sure if bug or intended.

Archived