Black Screen Upon New Game (-DSafemode Does NOT Fix)

Dichotomy

Question

NOTE : The latest update of 400kb 12th of November 2013 has fixed this issue by providing two new .bat files, one for 64 bit and one for 32 bit. These both launch using compatibility mode and use 1GB memory by default (64-bit) or 3/4GB (for 32-bit). Personally I would increase the maximum memory for the 64-bit version to a higher value (I use 3GB to be safe) if you have the RAM, as 1GB induces to much stuttering on my system

Hello

Purchased and downloaded PROJECT ZOMBOID from Steam about 6 hours ago on STEAM.

So far I have been unable to play the game at all. At the moment I have 2 problems.

1. Have been unable to start the game through either STEAM, STEAM Compatibility Mode or either of the two executable (32bit or 64bit). Upon trying any of these a DOS CMD Window spawns and then closes before posting a single error msg to the console : "Could Not Load Main Client".

SOLUTIONS TRIED :
a). Full Clean Re-Install after deleting local content. Performed 3 times.
2). Download latest 32-BIT and 64-BIT JAVA RUNTIME. Performed twice.
c). Run the ProjectZomboid.bat batch file that launches java directly. This allowed me to get far enough into the game to actually begin a new "campaign".

So great we have a workaround for 1, but this leads to problem 2.

2. Having launched PZ, and begun a new game I am presented with a screen that seems to render the UI perfectly (can read the tutorial hints, get into inventory, stuff like that) but cannot see anything of the in game area. In other words I cannot see my avatar, the houses, zombies, grass etc etc; its ALL black.

SOLUTION TRIED :
a). Installed the latest NVidia video driver 331.65 (had the 327.?? driver previously).
2). Tried moving around the scene for 5 - 10 minutes at a time, as some threads mentioned that time fixed the problem.
c). Tried saving and then reloading, and then moving/waiting.
d). Altered the .bat file to allow for more memory being made available to PZ, as per one of the threads on this/steam forums.
e). Altered the .bat file to spawn using SAFEMODE (ie prefixed with -D) which is supposedly meant to fix issues with the BLACK SCREEN by forcing compatibility mode which uses compressed textures.
f) Reduced in-game GRAPHICS SETTING from HIGHEST and then incrementally down to LOW (as VERY LOW is meant to be broken according to the forums).

So now I am completely out of options.

Now here are my system specs.

Now I realise my processor is currently BELOW what is listed in the STORE page, but consider this to be an extremely unlikely cause for issues, especially considering my FPS is decent and the problem appears to be graphical in nature.

DUAL CORE 2.97GHZ
NVidia GTX 280 * 2 SLI (have tried single GPU and SLI mode, fiddled with various SLI rendering modes, even created my own using NVidia inspector).
6GB DDR3 Mem
Windows 7 64-BIT

So any ideas, as I have exhausted all of the internet's advice that I could find ? I would appreciate some Indie Stone support here if possible (especially as it seems I am not the only one having this issue), but anyone is welcome to assist where they can.

Also is there a list somewhere of the video cards that currently are supported for the shader's setting in the video options? Yes extremely optimistic asking about that given I cannot even run the game, but still while I'm here and all that :)

Thanks Everyone

BTW If you need more info, please just ask as I will be online for another few hours, lamenting all the zombies I could have been slaying (errrr hiding from).

SOLUTION (AS PROVIDED BY ENIGMA GREY)

Problem (1). No solution is available right now, the .BAT file is the only workaround.

Problem (2). The games .bat file is a little "outdated" and has issues, the solution was to replace the original file with a simple one provided by Enigma Grey that would still enforce the safemode/compatibility mode (Respone #45 of this THREAD : http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/2891-black-screen-upon-new-game-dsafemode-does-not-fix/?p=40771 . The code for which I have copied below :

64-BIT JRE

".\jre64\bin\java.exe" -Djava.library.path=./ -cp lwjgl.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;./ zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState -safemode PAUSE

32-BIT JRE

".\jre\bin\java.exe" -Djava.library.path=./ -cp lwjgl.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;./ zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState -safemode PAUSE

Just copy the above code (depending on what bit-width of JAVA you have) into the file :

ProjectZomboid.bat 

Located at (NOTE : If you are using Windows XP, 32-BIT VISTA, etc, then this will be "Program Files" not "Program FIles (x86)", also if you installed STEAM to a non-default location then my file location will NOT match yours.) :

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid

NOTE :  (Depending on your OS and settings the .bat extension may or may not be shown by your FileExplorer/Command Line Window. There is only one file called "ProjectZomboid" in that directory, the only similar ones that could confuse you are ProjectZomboid32 and ProjectZomboid64 (these you can ignore).

This will then hopefully allow you to play the game if you were having the same problem as I was in (2).

CAVEAT : As this file has been greatly simplified it has no memory qualifiers included which could (and probably will) mean you will get fairly bad stuttering in game. This can be rectified by adding the appropriate -Xms and -Xmx qualifiers to the file. I have provided two examples of this below, the first uses the memory settings of the original .bat file, and the second uses a modified version for people with more then 4GB of memory. 

For more information regarding JAVA Command Line Arguments and Memory, see the following links :

JAVA Command Line Arguments
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/tools/windows/java.html

JAVA Memory
http://www.vogella.com/articles/JavaPerformance/article.html

FYR : -Xms sets the minimum amount of RAM that JAVA/PZ will use and -Xmx sets the maximum that it is allowed to use. Do not set your maximum too high or your system will not have any spare memory for anything else and you will get reduced performance as a result. The settings I use work well for the 6GB system I have and got rid of stuttering that was occurring due to memory issues. NOTE : The "m" on the end qualifies the units as being in MB.

Original Memory Settings That Shipped with the game (3/4 - 1GB) :

-Xms768m -Xmx1024m 

So for example the BATCH file would look like this for a 32-BIT version :

".\jre\bin\java.exe" -Xms768m -Xmx1024m -Djava.library.path=./ -cp lwjgl.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;./ zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState -safemode PAUSE

The settings to use more memory, as I do in mine (1-3GB) :

-Xms1024m -Xmx3072m

So for example the BATCH file would look like this for a 64-BIT version, with my ALTERED memory settings :

".\jre64\bin\java.exe" -Xms1024m -Xmx3072m -Djava.library.path=./ -cp lwjgl.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;./ zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState -safemodePAUSE

You can set the memory settings to whatever you want, but setting too high probably wont gain you much, and going over say 2GB max for a 32-BIT system is probably not a good idea. If it does not work or causes issues you can always change it back.

Anyway hope that helps, now if I could only work out how to set a post to ANSWERED on these forums <sigh> :(

Thanks again Enigma Grey for your help.

• Answers 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Whats an OS? I'm using windows, but I'm not sure what version.

Yeah sorry about that its shorthand for OPERATING SYSTEM and yes I am referring to windows.

Here is what you need to do to find out the info I need.

Go to

1.Hold down the WINDOWS key and press the "PAUSE" key.

2. A window will appear and it will tell you what your OS .

Write down the information under the headings

WINDOWS EDITION

SYSTEM TYPE

PROCESSOR

An example, taken from my system , is

WINDOW EDITION - Windows 7 Ultimate

SYSTEM TYPE - 64-BIT

PROCESSOR - Intel Core 2 2.93Ghz (yours will bevery different in all likelihood)

Post back when you have the info.

C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\ProjectZomboid>set path=C:\WINDOWS\syste
m32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin;\Java\jre
7\bin;

C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\ProjectZomboid>"C:\Program Files\Java\jr
e7\bin\java" -server -noverify -XX:+UseParallelGC -XX:+DoEscapeAnalysis -XX:+Agg
ressiveOpts -XX:+TieredCompilation -XX:Tier2CompileThreshold=70000 -XX:CompileTh
reshold=1500  -Xms768m -Xmx1024m -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=3 -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=tru
e -Dsun.awt.noerasebackground=true -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false -Dsun.java2d.opengl=fa
lse -Dsun.java2d.pmoffscreen=false -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Djava.librar
y.path=./ -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true -Dsun.awt.noerasebackground=true -Dsun.java2
d.d3d=false -Xms768m -Xmx768m -Dsun.java2d.opengl=false -Dsun.java2d.pmoffscreen
=false -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Djava.security.policy=applet.policy -cp
lwjgl.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;./ zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState
Error: missing `server' JVM at `C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\server\jvm.dll'.
Please install or use the JRE or JDK that contains these missing components.

C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\ProjectZomboid>PAUSE
Press any key to continue . . .
Terminate batch job (Y/N)?

Well done. Just reviewing it now. See if you can get the other info from my previous post.

Remove the -server flag; you're on a 32-bit system and it does not apply when using the bat.

You can tell Safemode is on if you cannot zoom with the scroll wheel.

For those of you trying to play the game directly through Steam, Java should already be installed in the Project Zomboid directory -- updating or installing Java on the system will not solve anything, unless you're using the bat.

As to a "Could Not Load Main Client," sorry if I missed it guys, but can you tell me if it was a java.lang error or a "Could not find zombie.MainGameState" or something along those lines?

Ok well we have found "A" problem, hopefully it is "THE" problem.

Error: missing `server' JVM at `C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\server\jvm.dll'.

Please install or use the JRE or JDK that contains these missing components.

Ok this is telling me that you do not have a 64-BIT version of the JRE (Java Runtime Environment) installed at the moment.

Now this could be because one of the following :

1. You don't need it as you do not have a 64-BIT processor (that's what my other post is trying to determine).

2. You have not installed it or the installation failed to install properly.

NOTE : This is talking about the 64-BIT version of JAVA which is DIFFERENT to the 32-BIT version. Most people with 64-BIT machines/os install both. Good news is, if this is the sole problem then it is fixable.

Get back to me with the info from the other post as soon as you can.

Remove the -server flag; you're on a 32-bit system and it does not apply when using the bat.

You can tell Safemode is on if you cannot zoom with the scroll wheel.

For those of you trying to play the game directly through Steam, Java should already be installed in the Project Zomboid directory -- updating or installing Java on the system will not solve anything, unless you're using the bat.

As to a "Could Not Load Main Client," sorry if I missed it guys, but can you tell me if it was a java.lang error or a "Could not find zombie.MainGameState" or something along those lines?

From my perspective it was exactly as I typed it, sole error msg from the command window.

System:

Microsoft Windows XP

Home Edition

Version 2002

Service Pack 3

(I skipped the registered part. It doesn't tell me anything that you asked for.)

Computer:

Via C7-D

Processor 1800MHz

1.60 GHz, 1.93 GB of RAM

Physical Address extension.

Just remove -server and move on . . .

I don't know how.

From my perspective it was exactly as I typed it, sole error msg from the command window.

Improbable. Would you mind getting the error again, verbatim? Perhaps the whole console output?

if you're having any trouble keeping the window open, just add a couple extra PAUSE statements, each on their own line.

System:

Microsoft Windows XP

Home Edition

Version 2002

Service Pack 3

(I skipped the registered part. It doesn't tell me anything that you asked for.)

Computer:

Via C7-D

Processor 1800MHz

1.60 GHz, 1.93 GB of RAM

Physical Address extension.

Just remove -server and move on . . .

I don't know how.

OK

I thought you might be on XP when you mentioned the MSDOS batch file.

First you are most definitely on a 32-bit machine, so like the other poster said that batch file will fail as it is meant for a 64-Bit system.

The bad news is your system is very old, released in approx 2005-2006 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VIA_C7) and is severly under the min specs for this game.

Your processor is single core only.

Your Processor speed is 0.5GHz under the min spec and is below the min recommended chipset.

Your RAM is at the very best at the absolute minimum and that's not getting to your video card which may be an issue too (its not listed above so I cannot tell, but given the age of your system it cannot be too good).

Look I am not a big believer in ragging on people because their machine does not meet the requirements, as quite often games will run on lesser machines, just at a slower speed. That said, yours may well have issues regardless.

I am willing to work with you to try and work out why the 32-BIT version of jre is failing (we can grab an error msg like we did before and see what the problem is) ,although I assume your specs will at some point cause issues. That said I will let you make the decision of whether you want to try or not, as I have started out helping you I will do my best to see it through.

So let me know if you want to continue or not, cause if not I will go back to solving my own issues :)

Improbable. Would you mind getting the error again, verbatim? Perhaps the whole console output?

if you're having any trouble keeping the window open, just add a couple extra PAUSE statements, each on their own line.

OK doing it now but last time I ran it from the CMD prompt to get the error as it was too quick to see. That was a cut npaste you were reading, but I will do it again just to make sure I did not make a mistake.

Here is the CMD prompt output, you were correct the word was CLASS not CLIENT. But that's the only error I get to the console anyway.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid>dir p*

Volume in drive C has no label.

Volume Serial Number is C2F1-45B3

Directory of C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid

10/11/2013  09:02 PM               812 ProjectZomboid - Copy.bat

11/11/2013  04:43 AM               823 ProjectZomboid.bat

10/11/2013  08:59 PM           355,840 ProjectZomboid32.exe

10/11/2013  09:01 PM           386,048 ProjectZomboid64.exe

4 File(s)        743,523 bytes

0 Dir(s)  286,395,555,840 bytes free

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid>projectzomboid64

Couldn't load main class.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid>

Well, this gives a very clear indication of your troubles.

Please copy the contents of your bat and place it between code tags.

[code][/code]

There appears to be a problem with it.

I suspect I am going to appear very foolish in a minute :)

OK am doing it now

Here is the original .bat file (it runs fine)

set path=%path%;%ProgramFiles%\Java\jre7\bin;%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Java\jre7\bin;"%ProgramFiles%\Java\jre7\bin\java" -server -noverify -XX:+UseParallelGC -XX:+DoEscapeAnalysis -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:+TieredCompilation -XX:Tier2CompileThreshold=70000 -XX:CompileThreshold=1500  -Xms768m -Xmx1024m -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=3 -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true -Dsun.awt.noerasebackground=true -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false -Dsun.java2d.opengl=false -Dsun.java2d.pmoffscreen=false -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Djava.library.path=./ -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true -Dsun.awt.noerasebackground=true -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false -Xms768m -Xmx768m -Dsun.java2d.opengl=false -Dsun.java2d.pmoffscreen=false -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Djava.security.policy=applet.policy -cp lwjgl.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;./ zombie.gameStates.MainScreenStatePAUSE

And here is the modified one I got from the FORUMS to force safemode on (and it did some memory stuff too to reduce stuttering, which you would know more about then me, cannot remember if I tried it with just the -Dsafemode qualifier or not). (IT also runs fine)

set path=%path%;%ProgramFiles%\Java\jre7\bin;%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Java\jre7\bin;"%ProgramFiles%\Java\jre7\bin\java" -server -noverify  -Dsafemode -XX:+UseParallelGC -XX:+DoEscapeAnalysis -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:+TieredCompilation -XX:Tier2CompileThreshold=70000 -XX:CompileThreshold=1500 -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=3 -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true -Dsun.awt.noerasebackground=true -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false -Dsun.java2d.opengl=false -Dsun.java2d.pmoffscreen=false -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Djava.library.path=./ -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true -Dsun.awt.noerasebackground=true -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false -Xms2048m -Xmx4096m -Dsun.java2d.opengl=false -Dsun.java2d.pmoffscreen=false -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Djava.security.policy=applet.policy -cp lwjgl.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;./ zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState 2> err64bat.txt PAUSE

Also in case you did not understand me, or there was a miscommunication somewhere the COuld Not Load Main Class are the error message from running the PROJECTZOMBOID64.exe executable, not the .BAT file which runs the game fine up until I create a new game at which point I get the BLACK SCREEN + UI bug. Even by forcing safemode through the .BAT

Anyway hope that helps. Will await your expertise.

REMOVE the -server tag from your batch file

I understand that, I just don't know how to do it. I didn't realize that this computer is so out of date. Well, it doesn't belong to me, and I have opportunities to try and play the game on a better computer. I just need to know; I just bought the game, and its on my Steam account. Can I install the game on a different computer?

Regardless; I would really love to try and get the game to work, just to see how smoothly it will run. It may be playable. Please help. Thank you very much for your patience.

".\jre\bin\java.exe" -Djava.library.path=./ -cp lwjgl.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;./ zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState -safemodePAUSE
".\jre64\bin\java.exe" -Djava.library.path=./ -cp lwjgl.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;./ zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState -safemodePAUSE

Removed all other clutter; you can add it back or modify it as you wish. Note, you might get some pauses as the JVM does its thing, since a min/max RAM hasn't been set.

And no need to install Java! It's right there in the ProjectZomboid folder.

That took longer than I anticipated.

I understand that, I just don't know how to do it. I didn't realize that this computer is so out of date. Well, it doesn't belong to me, and I have opportunities to try and play the game on a better computer. I just need to know; I just bought the game, and its on my Steam account. Can I install the game on a different computer?

Regardless; I would really love to try and get the game to work, just to see how smoothly it will run. It may be playable. Please help. Thank you very much for your patience.

Right click on the bat. Select Edit.

If edit is not available, select Open With then Notepad.

In Notepad, remove -server

Go to File and click Save as.

First, set file type to All Files (*).

Second, add .bat to the file name, if not already present.

Then click save.

Then, double click on this bat.

Removed all other clutter; you can add it back or modify it as you wish. Note, you might get some pauses as the JVM does its thing, since a min/max RAM hasn't been set.

Is this for me?

OK in answer to our questions

1. Yes absolutely, as it is hooked to YOUR STEAM ACCOUNT and not the computer. STEAM would probably have an issue (as it should) if you tried to play it from more then one place AT THE SAME TIME but other then that its fine. I have done it many many times, your STEAM library is their for life (or until STEAM goes broke, hopefully not the later).

2. EnigmaGrey knows more about Java then I do (and is currently helping me resolve my issues) so I would suggest we follow his advice and see what happens.

OK DO what ENIGMA GREY said its eactly what I was typing but he double ninjad me

so follow his instructions (and also no that bit was for me)

I am going to test out the stuff he/she did for me now, but I will keep an eye on your posts in case he/she goes offline.

@ENIGMA GREY does the -server option force java in 64it mode, I figuredvthe way the batch file was written it was directly referencing the 64bit java and that would need to be changed to reference the 32-bit version (for the above poster) ????? Look I obviously don't know much about Java AT ALL, C++ is my forte, but it just seemed confusing to my java naive brain. No probs if you are too busy to reply, I am just interested that's all, and I can always google it later.

Also I was aware that the game came with JAVA, but from reading the threads online it suggested (or at least appeared to me) that the BTAHC File required a separate installand every thread I read kept telling me to reinstall JAVA. BTW AM testing the BATCH file now.

Is this for me?

The part about Notepad, after your quote, is for you. ;)

Then click save.

Then, double click on this bat

There's a problem. When I click Edit on the .bat, it opens in Notepad. The issue is that the majority of the text is layered on top of each other, and I can't make anything out of it. What do I do? I don't want to break it.

@ENIGMA GREY does the -server option force java in 64it mode, I figuredvthe way the batch file was written it was directly referencing the 64bit java and that would need to be changed to reference the 32-bit version (for the above poster) ????? Look I obviously don't know much about Java AT ALL, C++ is my forte, but it just seemed confusing to my java naive brain. No probs if you are too busy to reply, I am just interested that's all, and I can always google it later.

Also I was aware that the game came with JAVA, but from reading the threads online it suggested (or at least appeared to me) that the BTAHC File required a separate installand every thread I read kept telling me to reinstall JAVA. BTW AM testing the BATCH file now.

In theory, all 64-bit versions of Java 7 should run in server mode. The flag just acts as a gurantee in case that version is different.

In the case of the bat, it's meant to be a one-size-fits-all and hasn't seen much love, as far as logic is concerned. Some wires have gotten crossed over the years, partially in the name of convenience, leading to things like -server being where it shouldn't be; In most instances that should fail (32-Bit Java doesn't have a server component, unless you modify it).

The batch really just looks wherever you point the relative path (%ProgramFiles%\java); Change that, change the version of Java. For those who haven't upgraded since Java 6, they need to install a new version of Java. For those who don't have Java, they need to install Java. Most recommendations are based on the assumption that it's easier to get someone to install Java than find out later, in a 3 page thread, that they never had it. ;)

Then click save.

Then, double click on this bat

There's a problem. When I click Edit on the .bat, it opens in Notepad. The issue is that the majority of the text is layered on top of each other, and I can't make anything out of it. What do I do? I don't want to break it.

In Format, uncheck Word Wrap.

Everything should be more or less on 2-3 lines now.

I've figured out that when I highlight the text, I can read it properly. So, I've removed the -server, and completed all of the steps that you told me. I just went through the steps again to make sure I didn't do something wrong. I didn't. One thing that was missing from your steps is to tell me if I should either replace the original .bat or make a new one. I clicked replace, and then I double clicked on the bat file. Here is what came up:

C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\ProjectZomboid>set path=C:\WINDOWS\syste
m32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin;\Java\jre
7\bin;

C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\ProjectZomboid>"C:\Program Files\Java\jr
e7\bin\java" -noverify -XX:+UseParallelGC -XX:+DoEscapeAnalysis -XX:+AggressiveO
pts -XX:+TieredCompilation -XX:Tier2CompileThreshold=70000 -XX:CompileThreshold=
1500  -Xms768m -Xmx1024m -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=3 -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true -Dsun.
awt.noerasebackground=true -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false -Dsun.java2d.opengl=false -Dsu
n.java2d.pmoffscreen=false -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Djava.library.path=.
/ -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true -Dsun.awt.noerasebackground=true -Dsun.java2d.d3d=fa
lse -Xms768m -Xmx768m -Dsun.java2d.opengl=false -Dsun.java2d.pmoffscreen=false -
Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Djava.security.policy=applet.policy -cp lwjgl.ja
r;lwjgl_util.jar;./ zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState
Unrecognized VM option 'DoEscapeAnalysis'
Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.

C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\ProjectZomboid>PAUSE
Press any key to continue . . .