Fort Knox safe zone (or not)

shannabul

As an addition to the common suggestion of a Fort Knox map expansion i thought it would be more interesting than just a new lootable area if that fort knox had not fallen to the zombie apocalypse (yet) and with the addition of NPC's it could be military controlled and be a quarantine zone.

You could be exploring and see a squad pass through in trucks mowing down zombies in their path but if you gain their trust they could induct you into the base and take you out on raids to help provide for the group. BUT on the outside of the fort walls packs of survivors don't think the military have any right to control the fort, and think when civilization has crumbled the military means nothing and you could help them on a mission to sabotage the forts defences to let the hoard take care of them so you and other survivors and go in and claim the base.

Its similar to the dynamic in fallout 3 where you could choose to destroy megaton or Tenpenny tower and would make the map more dynamic 

you idea is good, but im not in the game staff or anything but im pretty sure what ur suggesting imply a TONS of work. And since they are prolly barely keeping their head above the water trying to balance and make everything run smooth atm , im guessing its overcomplicated .

From what I've read, that seems like it would be way too scripted a sequence. I think the devs are going towards a more fluid, organic game play. Maybe a bunch of survivors take over Fort Knox before the military arrives? Maybe the owners of Fort Knox come into contention with another band of survivors and the two sides fight each other to the death?

I doubt this'll be some predetermined scenario that will always happen, but I'd like to see what crops up as the various conflicting elements in the game come into play.

From what I've read, that seems like it would be way too scripted a sequence. I think the devs are going towards a more fluid, organic game play. Maybe a bunch of survivors take over Fort Knox before the military arrives? Maybe the owners of Fort Knox come into contention with another band of survivors and the two sides fight each other to the death?

I doubt this'll be some predetermined scenario that will always happen, but I'd like to see what crops up as the various conflicting elements in the game come into play.

this "fluid, organic gameplay" storywise that you are refering to sounds awesome when done right, but somehow i doubt it will go to this extend... also, right now there is absolutely nothing in the game that hints in this directon - or am i mistaken?

I think its very likely there will be something along these lines but perhaps not the story elements of  deciding the fate of the fort (but with the NPC and modding infrastructure couldn't it possibly be a modded story?) they recently talked about they had huge plans for the military and map expansion to fort knox. Also they talked about how if they needed a certain location or building for story purposes they would build it, so eventually fort knox could be a part of the kate and baldspot story when they build it

As an addition to the common suggestion of a Fort Knox map expansion i thought it would be more interesting than just a new lootable area if that fort knox had not fallen to the zombie apocalypse (yet) and with the addition of NPC's it could be military controlled and be a quarantine zone.

You could be exploring and see a squad pass through in trucks mowing down zombies in their path but if you gain their trust they could induct you into the base and take you out on raids to help provide for the group. BUT on the outside of the fort walls packs of survivors don't think the military have any right to control the fort, and think when civilization has crumbled the military means nothing and you could help them on a mission to sabotage the forts defences to let the hoard take care of them so you and other survivors and go in and claim the base.

Its similar to the dynamic in fallout 3 where you could choose to destroy megaton or Tenpenny tower and would make the map more dynamic 

This is possible within what's planned in the game but it has to be run by PCs that are aided by NPCs. That's how the AI is gearing up to become. Such a scripted scenario built into the game goes against what Project Zomboid is like. No place will be safe, and the only safety you find in the game is found through a concerted effort. Safe zones exactly how you describe, except probably sans the military, will only be possible through player initiative. As far as I'm aware, any military NPCs you find will shoot at you, so getting a soldier to follow you will be difficult, if not impossible. That's what the game's take will be in the coming months, as far as I am aware; I feel it's refreshing and intuitive.