bag and storage : ideas

Gardentwine

Hi not sure if any one would be insterested in this idea, but hay if i dont ask no one will know!

i would do this my seft but i think something like this could be to advance

Bag/storage idea:

is it posible to mod it, so when i drop my bags on the floor, i can view it like say a storage crate/zombie etc.

also make the Plastic bag biodegradable  < if left out side fast decay / indoor slow decay <to pervent long term storage. item will be lost

perhaps the ability to rename bags and storage/ or overlay a Sub name to help organise. at a cost of a pen in game.

i just think this idea would come under realism.

I agree with no decay for some containers, tote bags should erode over time.  Some containers like tote bags and plastic bags could work like normal world containers,  backpacks and the like should not be like that, to balance it out. After bag decay (totebag) contents remain on ground.

Edited by kinyoshi

Except for the degradable plastic bag I like your ideas.

The problem with renaming items atm is that it would be fairly hard to do because you would need to overwrite several vanilla functions. Items also share the same name so you can't use that variable for renaming. I actually wanted to do something like that for my "unpack bags" mod. I would've used the translation system but as i said that would change all bags :-(

Probably just make the standard bags you have now easier to see on the floor when you drop them, and have the ability to loot them like a container, rather than having to pick them up, equip, loot, unequip, and drop again. Hell, failing that, make the bags dropped on the floor easier to interact with. i seem to remember it being a royal pain to right click on a bag I dropped once in order to pick it up.

The ones used commonly in the US, including Kentucky, are the type I've called, for a long time "Walmart bags". That's probably illogical because I doubt they invented them and every grocery store over here uses them, but Walmart is everywhere and where Walmart is, the bags follow. They might degrade over a very long period of time, but you can keep them in your house for a year, or several years, without noticing much of an effect. Now, having them outside reduces that time to a year, maybe 6-9 months, but those puppies float around on the wind and usually end up in some sort of sheltered place that catches them, prolonging their pitiful lives.

Here's my spiel, from a post which I posted without looking: The bags degrade like weapons, however, only the plastic and the tote bags do this, they degrade only when they have items inside them, and the degradation rate is calculated using the total amount that is inside them, their base stat, and whether you are walking, running, or creeping. When they break they drop all contents onto the ground. 

My next idea for that, also from the post I made without looking, is that these bags affect your walking speed. Say, you are carrying 20 items loosely, not in a bag, in your inventory, you would walk slower(in real life), right? so then , the player now receives a movement penalty based on all the loose items in their inventory, tote bags and plastic bags count, (unless equipped as secondary), whereas bags like the backpack and hiking bag (which can be much more easily slung over the shoulder) give no or little penalty. This would help reinforce good inventory management, and perhaps add a more (maybe optional) realistic feel to the game.