Multiplayer Names

Melissa

Hey there,

I was just wondering if it was at all possible to change your name, or create alternate profiles that did not share your Steam name.

I ask because I'm currently hosting a private role play server,  and my friends would much rather go by their character's names rather than their online handles. It's a bit immersion breaking for us, you see - probably not a very big problem in the grand scheme of things, but I'd appreciate the help!

To clarify; we would want our in-game names, the ones hovering above our heads, to be different. I'm not sure if that helps at all, but I hope it does!

10 hours ago, King Kitteh said:

Well, I'm not sure about having a different name display within PZ itself, there is probably a mod, or a way to mod that does this.

Why not just change your actual Steam name, you get infinite changes anyway.

That's a tad inconvenient, to be honest. Even still, it'd only really solve half the problem considering I'm also asking about whether or not we can still create multiple profiles - multiple survivors that don't share the same inventory and stats. I remember this being a thing back for Hamachi servers, especially whitelist ones, where you could log in with specific names and passwords.

12 hours ago, Livio Persemprio said:

Because half of my contact list wouldn't recognize me anymore, and I don't really feel like switching name so often. 

I'd love this as an option for my server as well, I need my Hououin Kyouma character

If they click your profile it will show what your previously used usernames were, but yes I agree. It is very inconvenient, this would be a welcome feature in my eyes.

41 minutes ago, King Kitteh said:

If they click your profile it will show what your previously used usernames were, but yes I agree. It is very inconvenient, this would be a welcome feature in my eyes.

Well, i've just learned something, life is good, isn't it?

But yep, the option would be lovely

Not . . . really sure that'd be a good idea. People tended to get confused with the login stuff; this change effectively removes it.

I'd rather have separate display names that can be set by admins, but that itself is probably its own hassle.

55 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Not . . . really sure that'd be a good idea. People tended to get confused with the login stuff; this change effectively removes it.

I'd rather have separate display names that can be set by admins, but that itself is probably its own hassle.

If that would do it, then I'm fine with it, but what about OP's request of alt characters? Could you figure a workaround for that as well?

Having a single dedicated name and character seems a bit of a step back, in my opinion. I'm no developer, so I have no idea how much of a hassle the login stuff really was, but I really did appreciate the option to play multiplayer with names that didn't have to match my Steam username.

I respect the decision to do that, but... As a player, I think having it as an option - like how the whitelist functioned - would be a better alternative than just removing it entirely.

Edited by Melissa