Integrating Map into Base Map

MonolithicBacon

Hello once more, gents!

I have been attempting to integrate Phoenix into the Muldraugh map for quite some time now, but each time I have encountered problems.

For the time being, I am postponing this update until I am absolutely sure of how to accomplish this.

While actually getting the map itself into Muldraugh is simple (using offset on lotpacks and lotmaps), I cannot find a way to do so keeping Phoenix's spawnpoints, and keeping the definitions in Phoenix's .objects file.

Does anybody know of a step-by-step guide to help me get Phoenix up and running for its final release?

Are you using a mod platform?

I think you need to include the original spawnpoints in your new spawnpoint.lua and basically overwrite the old one. There might be a way to add the spawnpoints to the original file by inserting them in the same table, but I think that requires some lua that I don't have enough understanding on... It might also be the case with the objects, but again I haven't delved into it that much.

What you could try is copy your spawn info and objects info into the original files (or rather copies of them) and include them in your mod.

Are you using a mod platform?

I think you need to include the original spawnpoints in your new spawnpoint.lua and basically overwrite the old one. There might be a way to add the spawnpoints to the original file by inserting them in the same table, but I think that requires some lua that I don't have enough understanding on... It might also be the case with the objects, but again I haven't delved into it that much.

What you could try is copy your spawn info and objects info into the original files (or rather copies of them) and include them in your mod.

I'm glad we're on the same wavelength! I tried exactly this, but overlapping objects.lua info kills the game (and I don't have the capacity to go searching through every line of that document to find the tiles I'm replacing).

The spawn info is also doubly complex, as my spawnpoint coordinates are changed the moment I upload the map under a different location. I'm very confused!

Offset the cells in WorldEd when you generate your lots (using the world origin option at the bottom), afterwards rewrite your spawnpoints (and objects) to lua, that should write them out using the new world co-ordinates.

Now that is an excellent idea. I'll give that a whirl now.

Out of interest, in my mod folder I only have the lotpacks and lotmaps for tiles that I have created (and none of those included in Muldraught). Will that still work, or do I have to have all of the Muldraugh files in the same folder too?

Just your lotpacks and lotmaps are needed in that folder, along with the chunkdata (zombie respawn stuff, made automatically if using latest version of TileZed), objects.lua and spawnpoints.lua files. It should also have a map.info file that includes the lines:

title=Your Mod Name Here

lots=Muldraugh, KY

description=Your mod description here

"lots=Muldraugh, KY" will tell the game that the files contained in your mod folder are to add to the base map.

Yeah it sounds like you don't have the latest version of TileZed installed ( http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/14596-map-tools-tiles-for-build-32/ ).

After installing, just generate lots as per usual and you will have your chunkdata files.

It may well be that you have to re-place down your spawnpoints after using the world origins option to offset before writing out your spawnpoints.lua.

If your foraging objects are still showing on each cell and your objects.lua still looks like it should then you shouldn't need to re-do those.

Many thanks for this gents. I'll get to downloading the latest tools and have another crack at it.

However, if you could help me with one final thing: how do you create a spawnpoint? Since the first days of making this map, I've written them up myself by checking the coordinates on map itself. Is there another way?

No worries!

Open WorldEd and load your map mod, double click on one of the cells that you want to add a spawn point to then click on the icon at the top of the screen called "Place Spawn point" (Next to the create object icon) and then click on the map where you would like it.

Okay, one final update (hopefully).

I have followed the instructions down to the letter, and everything seems to work nicely: the lotpacks and lotmaps are correct, the spawnpoints have been generated, the objects.lua is in place, and the .info file is in place.

However, Phoenix is not appearing where it is supposed to in Muldraugh. At the moment, it starts at 38x36, but the map is entirely independent (black borders). Have I missed something?

[EDIT] I'm a tool.

Fixed and uploaded! Many thanks Ringo and Suomiboi.

Phoenix is officially Beta!