Dropped Items Cleanup for Servers

Wilson

I'm sure this isn't really a problem for an unmodded server, or anyone playing single-player, but it's a big problem on a PvP server when lots of guns and ammo are involved.  Is there any possible server-side setting to enable a cleanup of non-container items placed on the ground/dropped outside of containers?

I'm running a dedicated server with PvP always on and the ORGM mod (guns), but after just a couple days of running the server, there's simply far too many guns and ammo lying around free for the taking.  We have limited loot respawns on for the sake of allowing the server to always be viable and accessible for new players, but all one has to do is empty the shelves, boxes, etc. to the ground, then it will respawn loot after a while.  This has led to police stations and gun shop floors being littered with a lot of weapons and ammo.

Just like HoursForCorpseRemoval, we need the ability to remove anything not in a container that isn't a container itself (backpacks), or a generator.

I understand if this request is a feature that's just not implemented yet, but can anyone tell me if there's any possible way I can work around this issue without erasing our map changes like construction projects, characters, etc.?

Our temporary solution has been to stick everything into corpses so it despawns, but we end up spending all our time running cleanup duty rather than trying to survive.

No one else has this issue?

We reset our server and have turned loot drops way down, however, due to bugs and such, there's still a ton of stuff lying around we don't want readily available on a multiplayer server.  The ability to run a periodic cleanup script on any non-container items on the ground is needed for actual dedicated servers.  Sticking stuff in bodies at a max of 8 lbs at a time is getting old.

I was moving items between containers tonight reorganizing and I somehow created over 10,000 12 gauge ammo...  I've tried sticking them in containers and destroying them with the sledgehammer, burning them, etc. but there doesn't appear to be any possible way outside of resetting the server to dispose of bugged items, litter, and otherwise unwanted items.  To be honest, the bodies could stay and not be a problem, yet there's a cleanup script for those, it's the non-container items we need to be able to remove.

What's your definition of a "soft reset" Enigma?  And how do you go about it?  Our last reset completely reset the entire map, just not our characters.  We'd like for construction projects and items stored in containers to remain though.

Sounds like a problem with your mods =/ . May be worth contacting the mod author and seeing if they won't try to investigate the issue.

In my opinion, completely clearing the map of on-ground items is something of an undesirable solution. Soft resets are more than adequate for now, but I hope that ultimately we'll have something a little more granular... Some of my favorite bits about the multiplayer experience revolve around how players utilize the game mechanics to produce the unexpected; on our server I've seen players spell out messages like "HELP" across a road with books, or build a surprisingly realistic garden using violets and grape leaves as ground cover and stones and chipped stones to line pathways. Not that these things can't be replicated in short order, but it always makes me a little sad when they are cleared in a reset. Maybe age-based item decay would facilitate my ideal solution... not really being constructive here, just ranting (beg pardon!).

A soft reset is a process run on the map files, by which items (including those in containers), bodies, blood, and time is reset.

Add -Dsoftreset to the list of Java's agruments to trigger it.

It takes about an hour to run on the 250,000 map files.

A soft reset is a process run on the map files, by which items (including those in containers), bodies, blood, and time is reset.

So with this method, it cleans up stuff inside of containers, but leaves stuff on the ground alone?  So everything we'd want removed we would need to put inside something and the things we want saved should be pulled out... interesting.  Not exactly the approach I would take.  In my mind, metagaming aside, things on the ground are generally unwanted, whereas things put in containers are generally being saved for a purpose.

OK, thanks for clarifying.  If a "soft" reset just basically preserves what's been built, but not items in any form other than in character inventories, then we might as well cleanup and fix the entire map while we're at it.  Especially given that a full reset takes a few minutes, while this soft reset could take a while.

I just registered in the forum to point that this is a real need nowadays. This post has to gain more relevance and promote modders or developers to have a solution or at least a minimum configuration for this issue.

In MP, litter ends stacking up. Depending on the number of players this may take days, weeks or even months, but insane littering will happen eventually.

I've read someone saying: just make a soft reset and etcetc...that's ok for a tiny server, but for large or medium servers it causes a HUGE amount of grief to players. They now have an antigriefing tool (safehouses) but they'll now feel double grief: the safehouse loss and the stashed items loss on "soft reset".

We need at least options to sort this issue out. Whoever wants to keep "soft-resetting" their servers will keep doing it, but for those admins that want a clean, streamline and low griefing server there is no choices available.

In my server administrator experience in sandbox games (the insanely comparison-hated Minecraft included) I found always a fix (or a mod) to reduce or completely elliminate the entities dropped on the ground easily every X amount of configurable real life time.

Some of you may even think this will create lag on servers or clutter it, but as far as I've seen in my servers, it just did the opposite on the long run. It made the servers run smoothly low on ground entities for long periods of time.

Whoever (modder or dev) reads this, please reconsider including that option as soon as possible into Project Zomboid. We all love it, but we all love it more when it's customized to fit our needs.

Kind regards.

Archived