Game starts and stays on black screen

apollosflame

Question

Ive had the game for a day, worked, then i tried a mod with it, worked... but kept crashing, so i decided to just delete the mod from the mods folder, and the next time i tried getting the game open, all that happens on the command prompt goes to script: loading c:/program files ...(all the files and...) scripts/items.txt and stays there, any suggestions, kinda wanted to do an all nighter on the game but thats not happening :(

8 answers to this question

Did you install the mod in %username%\zomboid\mods or %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Steam\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid\mods?

The easiest way to rectify any chances to the game is just to delete both the installation directory of the game and the user files. %username%\zomboid is usually C:\users\EG\zomboid, where EG is your Windows account name. Program files should be self evident.

Then just reinstall the game through Steam.

Backup the installation exe-files etc. delete (and-or) uninstall the whole game making sure every single file related to it is deleted (except the files that are needed to install the actual game).

Make sure Java is updated. the 32bit version and 64bit version (64bit only if you have a windows 64 bit) 

REBOOT.

Install the game.

Play. :) if it doesn't work come back here. Thats all I can advice you based on my experience with the same issue once.

PS: quoted below in the spoiler are THE BEST answers to everyday non functioning games, written by a great gamer I cannot say from which site it is quoted because of the rules on the forum.

Game problems by not having Redists, Dotnet, & DirectX Installed  2014 views     posted 27, 15:07    
Hey everyone - it is becoming more and more popular now a days where people are complaining about their game not working or that they are getting certain errors due to such and such. 
Well 99% of the time is because the person trying to run the game does not have the right things installed on his/her computer to do so. 

So today I am going to try to help with this and link you to the correct/trusted sites with the three most common things you need for running your game without having any problems (fingers crossed).

The three main culprits in question are: 

Microsoft Visual C++ (2005, 2008, 2010, 2012 & 2013) ((All 64bit and 86bit) (you need them all if you wish to install the 2013 version, you do need all previous version also)
Microsoft .NET Framework
Microsoft DirectX
(the above can be found on Microsoft's OFFICIAL WebSite and FREE for all WINDOWS Users.)
- Open AL (audio) (OpenAL is becoming more popular these days especially with indie games) (Google it)
- Java (Java is another software that can fix a few game related problems such as those with Project Zomboid or Mi*****ft which require it to play. ) FOUND ON OFFICIAL JAVA WEBSITE FREE.

Now things like Microsoft Visual C++ goes back a long way, as far back as 2005 for you to be able to run a lot of games without problems, so depending on games your running you will need a few of the packages.
That should hopefully fix your problems 99% of the time. The only other errors you will more than likely come across are .dll errors...........

Backup the installation exe-files etc. delete (and-or) uninstall the whole game making sure every single file related to it is deleted (except the files that are needed to install the actual game).

Make sure Java is updated. the 32bit version and 64bit version (64bit only if you have a windows 64 bit)

It's important to delete everything or at the very least move it out of the installation directory of the game in case Steam corrupted the install.

Java is included with the game on Windows and doesn't need to be installed.

It's important to delete everything or at the very least move it out of the installation directory of the game in case Steam corrupted the install.

Java is included with the game on Windows and doesn't need to be installed.

I had to update it when I got the game unfortunately. :/

i deleted every known file and now it works after reinstall, but seing as i passed out after doing every thing, i dont remember what i did besides that hahah, and can someone answer me something, i hear extra gun shots in the game single player, are there npcs and am i able to sort of recruit them? i want a giant fortress XD

Archived