Game crashes after 30+ seconds of character control

billybob579

Question

I always told myself I wouldn't do this...  that I wouldn't be that guy...  'Tis a dark day indeed.  But I'll try to make it painless.

So, I bought PZ 3-ish months ago and it ran fine.  I had no issues whatsoever, even when I started using the new forum releases.  I took a break for about a month(ish) and upon trying to play again...  I can launch the game, create a character and whatnot, and get ingame to the point of controlling him for about half a minute before everything simply freezes.

I've been trying on Steam most recently, but have used both Desura and standalone downloads too.  I tried deleting the folder it's installed to and trying from scratch.  I have an AMD Radeon HD 6800, and checked the drivers minutes before typing this.  They're up to date, as is my version of Java.  I ensured that I am using 32-bit Java as well, and that all past versions of it are uninstalled, as I read something about that on the FAQ.

I'm fairly confident this isn't a hardware problem (unless PZ just doesn't like AMD Radeon, but I couldn't find mention of that anywhere), as it's all very new and certainly not low-end.  Is it possible that I'm having the issue described on the Tech FAQ as "After the “THIS IS HOW YOU DIED”-screen the game freezes or stops responding!", but that I get a bit further along than most people?

Any help would be appreciated.  If there's more information that'd be useful, I'll do what I can to provide it.  Thanks!

4 answers to this question

Could you scrub the %username%\zomboid folder? Just enter this path in a folder's task bar, and it should take you to something like C:\users\EG\zomboid

You'll want to delete the save games folders (and back them up if you're precious to you). These are Survival, Last Stand, and Sandbox.

Archived