Wood stoves, fireplaces, BBQs, barrels

drNovikov

Finally, one of my survivors made it to a hidden cabin in the woods. There is a well nearby and a stove inside, but... this stove does not work! It seems to be an electrical stove, and the electricity is already off (can't turn on any of town's cooking devices, although, lights are still on).

Why can't we have wood stoves in such locations? Why can't we make stoves from empty barrels? Why can't we pick a BBQ device in the town and move it somewhere else? Having a wood stove in a house is a very good thing:

1. Cooking without showing the fire to zombies.

2. Heatin the house.

3. Being protected from the rain.

I suggest:

1. Let us pick up and deploy BBQ devices and use wood to fuel them.

2. Place wood stoves in farms, cabins, etc and let them be fueled with wood.

3. Introduce brick and cement, masonry skill and let people make fireplaces from bricks.

4. Let people make makeshift fireplaces from barrels and pipes.

I think we'll certainly be able to move grills once the ability to push items around is back.

I agree with making fires in barrels and trash cans.

I disagree with home made indoor fireplaces and chimneys. I won't go into details (unless you want me to) but they are incredibly finicky to make. This would be a pretty big step from reality IMO.

I think we'll certainly be able to move grills once the ability to push items around is back.

I agree with making fires in barrels and trash cans.

I disagree with home made indoor fireplaces and chimneys. I won't go into details (unless you want me to) but they are incredibly finicky to make. This would be a pretty big step from reality IMO.

Pushing a BBQ all the way from the main city to a farm would be a very extreme thing to do =) I'd rather disassemble it, put into a backpack and reassemble it later.

By the way, here is a self-made indoor wood stove in Russia. A barrel and some pipes: http://b.a.d-cd.net/e469d88s-960.jpg Not very difficult to do.

Do you agree that stoves in remote forest cabins and farms should be fueled with wood rather than powered with eelctricity?

Yes I do. I'm also not too much against metal pipe stoves being craftable- albeit I'm not sure where you'd get those materials in KY- it's more the mortar/concrete/brick I'm against.

The materials needed for a primitive self-made metal stove are pretty abundant. I am sure there is a lot of metal barrels and rainwater pipes in american warehouses and DIY shops.

But actually, It is not that hard to build a fireplace with bricks. Look at this typical stove / fireplace, people in Russia build them in their summer cottages and countryhouses: 

1359618050_kirpichnaya_pech_svoimi_rukam

Unlike a metal stove, this one does not require welding -- just bricks, concrete and water, all of which can be found in a warehouse. Made from brick, such fireplace can accumulate a significant amount of heat energy and dissipate it all night, even if the fire is out.

I'm well aware of the prevalence of wood stoves, I've got one ;)

The issue with mortar/concrete is that unless its the right kind and made exactly right it can crack and crumble, even fall under heat. I can provide some source work if you want, but I promise it's not as easy as you think.

I was actually going to build one in my family cabin, but we decided it was too risky to do ourselves and gave it up. We aren't wimps- we did everything from foundation, plumbing, and electrical all the way to the roof ourselves. Also, brick fireplaces need to sit on concrete slabs or they can settle and break, or even fall through the floor.

• 1 month later...