Meta-Game Consideration of Zombie Kills

Absle

So this past Mondoid went over the incoming traps for build 32 (hopefully!), which are awesome for cleverly and relatively safely killing large numbers of zombies. The problem I'm kinda seeing is that there's no REASON to kill large numbers of zombies, and explosions just make huge noises, so why wouldn't I just use noisemakers to get zombies out of the way for the moment?

So I was thinking, what if the meta-game took into consideration a large number of zombie deaths in a certain area? Essentially, if the player takes the time and effort to successfully kill large numbers of zombies, there should be a "reward" of the player simply having less zombies to deal with in that area (and perhaps adjacent areas) for a certain amount of time; so just spending a day killing zombies around your safehouse would be a valuable use of resources and time, rather than just noise-makering them away from your immediate area and slipping quietly away.

I really wouldn't know about the specifics of how best to do it (maybe discouraging random zombie migration into the area, maybe just lowering the spawn rate in that area or adjacent areas?). The explosions would still obviously attract zombies from adjacent areas, but that's a set number that you can deal with if you play it smart. Perhaps this could be further balanced with the threat that if you don't do ANYTHING about the zombies around your "safe" little home (just locking yourself up and seeing how long your food lasts) then their spawn rates and migration into that area get exponentially worse and worse. Just my thoughts.

There is a reason to take out large numbers of zombies. To clear an area for safety.

But if I'm clearing an area, it means I want to live there. But if I want to live there, I don't want to use explosives that will damage the area that I want to live in or attract to much attention. And if you just want to get zombies away from your house, why not just use (presumably cheaper) noise makers to just pull them away?

• 2 weeks later...

There is a reason to take out large numbers of zombies. To clear an area for safety.

But if I'm clearing an area, it means I want to live there. But if I want to live there, I don't want to use explosives that will damage the area that I want to live in or attract to much attention. And if you just want to get zombies away from your house, why not just use (presumably cheaper) noise makers to just pull them away?

1. Use noise maker away from place you want to live at

2. Burn them or blow them up away from your safehouse. Problem solved.

Now you lured them away, killed them, and brought no destruction or attention to your safehouse :)

The point the OP started is not that, but the fact that even if you kill all the zombies in the area around your safe house the zombies will respawn in only a day!!

What's more curious is that when you are choosing maps to start the game, there's the info on population of the two places.

What if you start to kill large amounts of zombies the overall number of then decreases? like if you kill around 1000+ zombies the spawn rate will decrease a lot and eventually (if you are a professional zombie killer) the spawn rate becomes like monthly instead of daily?

Just my two cents

Let's not forget that its easy for PZ to become boring to some already, once they reach the 'end-game'.

If we take zombies out entirely, that will only become more of a problem.

Not entirely. If I remember it right, the outbreak eventually spread to other areas outside the military blockage.

That means that if you kill a large enough number of zombies in your area (lets say the first town you start), then the remaning zombies would become less a danger (low spawn rate), but that dont prevent zombies to migrate from one area to another.

Thus even if you do manage to kill 4000+ zombies, and effectively clean the city, that will not stop zombies from other areas to keep coming.

The spawn rate would be a lot low if you manage that but they will keep coming.

Also, with the addition of NPCs there's a lot more incentive to try and clean an area from zombies and thus start a settlement.

I would say seeing a lot of zed around should give your character stress. Especially the horde. Panic system works great but when you think about it, a normal person looking out of window and seeing like 25 zed moving towards somewhere... It would make you feel uncomfortable.

So if you kill a lot of zed your stress will be gone and you will start to feel better.