Severe Exhaustion and survival

mcdog512

Absolutely love the game. After playing a bunch of Build 30 and watching several let's plays, it still seems that continuing on and on after becoming exhausted really doesn't put you in serious danger. Basically the let's play's I've seen practically ignore it. It does seem to give you reduced damage when you are really exhausted but I would suggest a final level of exhaustion that REALLY should cause the player serious concern.

If a player hits the absolute top level of exhaustion the player should move slower than the normal zombies. As long as the player is given ample warning with a moodle,when they are approaching this state. If the player cannot break off what they are doing then they will likely be overwhelmed and killed. If they can use their last bit of energy to find somewhere that MIGHT provide safety until they have recovered it would be a gamble they might want to take.

I think by doing this you allow the player the chance to push it but if it they push it too far, they are likely dead. I mean, in one video I saw a guy completely exhausted kiting around zombies trying to get the warehouse windows cleared. If you are at the end of your endurance, that shouldn't be possible and really isn't fun, at least for me.

You could set this level of lethal consequences where ever you wanted and again, you must warn the player they about to cross the line. To me this adds danger and player choice on what to push with real danger.

Thanks for a great game.

Absolutely love the game. After playing a bunch of Build 30 and watching several let's plays, it still seems that continuing on and on after becoming exhausted really doesn't put you in serious danger. Basically the let's play's I've seen practically ignore it. It does seem to give you reduced damage when you are really exhausted but I would suggest a final level of exhaustion that REALLY should cause the player serious concern.

If a player hits the absolute top level of exhaustion the player should move slower than the normal zombies. As long as the player is given ample warning with a moodle,when they are approaching this state. If the player cannot break off what they are doing then they will likely be overwhelmed and killed. If they can use their last bit of energy to find somewhere that MIGHT provide safety until they have recovered it would be a gamble they might want to take.

I think by doing this you allow the player the chance to push it but if it they push it too far, they are likely dead. I mean, in one video I saw a guy completely exhausted kiting around zombies trying to get the warehouse windows cleared. If you are at the end of your endurance, that shouldn't be possible and really isn't fun, at least for me.

You could set this level of lethal consequences where ever you wanted and again, you must warn the player they about to cross the line. To me this adds danger and player choice on what to push with real danger.

Thanks for a great game.

Yes i agree with this completely, and maybe have the very same (your purposed last exhaustion moodle/state) go into effect if you stay awake for far to long. 

I honestly don't like the new system. I felt like before the update other weapons besides nailed baseball/bats and axes were viable to use as melee weapons. Now I feel like unless I'm using an axe or nailed bat/bat I'm just doing it wrong. I mean using a golf club or crowbar wouldn't have been your best option before but I could still use them in place of the more valuble weapons in order to save my good items from when I really needed them, and they didn't slow me down too much. Now all those extra swings I need with a golf club are just that much more noticable, and tire my character out much faster, so much so I question why I'm even bothering to use them at all.

Knives are still good, because they weigh almost nothing. Your always taking a risk with them though, I only ever use them as a last resort.

Several points to be made here, albeit really simple.

First exertion moodle, is very severe, in build 30 anyway and it cannot be ignored as is. Sure you can man-mode through Moderate/High exertion if you have a few blips in your sprint/are proficient at your weaponry as those already nuke your damage and speed pretty badly. However, Excessive and Exhausted levels, are a suicide trip if you get to that point in the middle of a fight with a bunch of zeds. Exhausted prevents you from running, pretty much nullifies your knockback and damage entirely(with guns as well) and you move slower, than a regular fast shambler. So the worst level of that is currently probably the worst status effect in the game right now.

Now, the tired moodle, from not having enough sleep/foraging a bit too much, will in fact in the end(as confirmed by the devs) cause your character to pass out if you ignore for too long, giving sleeping a lot more urgency/making the vitamin pills, probably the best pills in the game...seeing as even I make my character function on pills alone instead of sleeping half the time anyway.