Build 30.3 Unable to play after loading world map, freezes or crashes.

ThatUser

Question

Hello there!

A friend and I started playing the game again yesterday, we had a few months break from it but are now catching up with the latest build. We wanted to run the 30.3 build but for some reason it doesn't run well on his computer so we went with build 29.4 in the meantime.

For some weird reason he cannot run the latest beta build, like I mentioned in the title, he can go to the menu and everything is fine there but the moment his world map is loaded, he either gets a brief flash of the screen of the game and then crashes or the world map loads but everything is dark and the game is running in the background, somehow, with the ingame sounds still playing.

Sadly, he doesnt have the worlds best pc at the moment, I believe he has an integrated graphics card, think it was Intel, but I will ask him for more detailed specs later.

But still, the latest non beta build, 29.4, runs pretty well for him, I mean a few bits and pieces of lag here and there while playing online but its playable you know. I hope that with the next hotfix or eventually with the final build 30, that this can be remedied and he can play at least the final version of build 30, which we had been looking forward to quite a bit!

In the meantime, its build 29.4 for us I suppose, since that seems to be running well for both of us.

1 answer to this question

Disable 3D models, shaders, and zoom in Options. Be sure to press save. Not sure why the settings aren't being carried over to the beta version (if this is the case), but it's the first thing to try.

Next up is to run the game in windowed mode and pay attention to the lower right-hand corner of the screen to see if he gets a message about his display adapter crashing / stops responding.

If nothing conclusive is gained from these, try this:

Go to the installation directory of the game by right clicking on Project Zomboid and selecting Properties in the Steam game library then press the Browse Local Files button shown here: http://i.imgur.com/PFy0kmJ.png

While you have these options open, disable the Steam overlay in the General tab.

Find the ProjectZomboid32.bat file (blue gears for an icon, not a red and black egg) and double click it. Once (if) the game crashes, take a screenshot of the console and upload it to imgur.com, linking it here. This will hopefully tell us what's wrong. =)

Archived