Helicopter gunship attack

trebizond

I did a search and didn't find a thread like this so my idea is hopefully in the spirit of a good zombie thriller. 

My idea is when the player is surrounded by a horde of zombies that there is a small chance that a helicopter gunship will pass by and shoot up a bunch of them. This could be simple to implement because there will be no helicopter animation on screen. Just the sound and zombies dropping from the gunfire. Now they won't kill all of them and if you stick around they might shoot you too. Or they could alternatively drop incendiaries that start lighting the zeds on fire randomly.

I think this would add a dramatic element when you think you are done for. whatever keeps a player from quitting just because they got surrounded. 

Thoughts?

Not -entirely- sure of the devs stance on this, but I'm a big fan of 'military action' instead of 'military assistance'.

What's the difference you ask? Well, military assistance would be a transport heli dropping you some supplies, or providing top cover as you run from a horde. Military action, however, would not be helping or hindering the player explicitly. Why the hell would the military help you, one person in thousands of square kilometres of infested county? Why would they risk breaching quarantine to save one life? Held up against the population of the immediate area, let alone the country, or the world, abandoning a few thousand survivors is peanuts.

Take an example. You've set up a nice safehouse on the outskirts of Muldraugh. Life is good. The walls are up, the crops are growing. One day, you here some gunshots in the distance. Then some more. Then full on automatic gunfire. Explosions, the sound of fighter jets whizzing over. What's going on? The military just rolled an armoured column in nearby, attempting to clean up the zombies with tanks, troops and a substantial amount of air support. After a few hours, perhaps days, the noise starts to die down.

If you're brave/insane enough, you can hike out to the site of the distant battle, see the zombified soldiers, the burning tanks, the artificial moonscape... And the colossal horde that the fighting pulled from all points of the compass. So much for looting the military gear, it's time to soil your pants and pack up to a safer location.

TL;DR - Off-screen bombing or combat would make one hell of a racket, and cause mammoth hordes to congregate and move. Adds a bit to the story too, in my opinion.

Helicopter gunship.....No

As for the offscreen bombing. Not fully sure about it. Would make sense in one way. On the other hand maybe the government just goes with an quarantine tactic.(abandon, secure surrounding and forget).

Depends on the devs idea of muldraugh and it's Situation and how big the meta game will be.