Server description still showing old name after changing.

Mart7Mcfl7

Question

After changing the description and name for a dedicated server, the in game-internet browser still shows the old name. Some server websites also show the old server name too.

Is there any other place apart from server.ini where this is cached or something? It's driving me bonkers.

Thanks

3 answers to this question

If this is on a non-steam server, then caching had to be added for the server list due to ongoing ddoses. Updates to info on the list will take longer.

if it’s a steam base server, then it’s a similar thing (caching) but usually not noticeable. It can take a while for changes to travel through their network. Server websites will likely take even longer to update, as they piggy-back off Steam.

44 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

If this is on a non-steam server, then caching had to be added for the server list due to ongoing ddoses. Updates to info on the list will take longer.

if it’s a steam base server, then it’s a similar thing (caching) but usually not noticeable. It can take a while for changes to travel through their network. Server websites will likely take even longer to update, as they piggy-back off Steam.

Ah Ok, kinda makes sense. Strange thing is that it's been a week since the name was changed, the name has changed on steams own server browser via the launcher and some pz-server list websites but not all. 

I just checked the in-game browser and the server no longer appears with old/new names using the filter, and every time I click refresh the server list remains blank but the "add to favourites" cycles between different server names. Players are reporting seeing the old server name and or description if they see it on the in-game browser too.

When I changed the name, I did wipe the server and settings and thought I could have screwed something up or a file caching the name might have been outside the save folder and setup files. I mean it feels like something is definitely janky with this behaviour?

Thanks for taking the time.

Additionally, when putting in the server name word for word in the filter (still not showing any server - list is blank) and continuing to click refresh many times. Eventually my server name pops up after going through multiple servers in the add to favourites section (and many of those servers have no matches to what I've put in the filter section)

I'm stumped.

Archived