The Cure to End Game of Project Zomboid (Ultimate Edition (Hardcore for Devs)) (Maybe) (Idk) (ex indie game dev here)

R27

-Have npc communities develop over time with or without player input.

This means they develop regardless in diffrent ways each playtrough in diffrent locations of he map, this helps with not only singleplayer expiriences but also with multiplayer as it adds vareity and promotes exploration, having you survive by yourself before you encounter these settlements. This settlements appearing/ being constructed appear later a few years down the line or months, it's all up to the developers ofcourse.

-Having outpost/Settlement wars between Npcs. (Unlike Events which happen and disappear, this should have lasting effects to Npcs aswel).

This is a great way to make the player not feel like the only one with braincells, you can't always expect everyone to be good right? it is normal for people to want and desire things out of their reach and achive anything to get there. (I understand this is near impossible i just included it because maybe the developers can take something out of it)

-The player gets to quite litterly be apart of these communities either by being a leader or just a normal citizen, or a millitary leader ect..

This as you have guessed it, Helps with immersion and adds playabillity and style to playtroughs, it makes Npc communities make sense for the player and for the Npcs themselves because the have a neural network brain right? (joke)

But in order to get to this more complex part of the game you need to survive.. This is end game or a theory of it. This takes project zomboid to a whole new route, I belive you can't implement this yet because the first part of the game and mid game are too tiny right now, this is more in mind with singleplayer rather than multiplayer.

Closing off this Comment with a conclusion like school teachers tought me to do" In conclusion, this i belive makes it so much more interesting to survive, adding things to speed up the process of making settlements like small events, finding people, quests, making zombies respawn a lot less and zombie migrations from one side of the map to the other. (Iknow it requires rewriting, worth it? if done right yeahs.

1 hour ago, doshskia said:

there will be no end game its a sandbox?

"End game" refers to "late game" content, I.E the long term progression. In Rust this is your Tier 3 blueprints, PvP monuments like Cargo Ship, Oil Rig, Military Tunnels, Launch Site, etc. In 7 days to die, this is when you've hit steel tools and max tier weapons and are fighting against super dangerous horde nights.

Project Zomboid, currently, doesn't really have 'end game content', the closest thing we can count is the winter season. NPCs and animals will likely add some new layers to the gameplay, especially 'late-game' gameplay. 

I think the idea that a sandbox doesn't have end game content is just plain inaccurate, even Zomboid technically has it. I definitely think Zomboid could do with some more 'late-game' content though. As of right now, once you get past your first couple of months things get stale fast. The internal logic of "boredom drives you to take risks" doesn't really hold up when there's no reason to take risks because you're stocked up and have cleared out most of the areas around you, and are well enough off that you're not super likely to die unless you intentionally do something stupid.. 

zombiod has alot of midgame content, and alot of them combined leaves to a sort of end game, but no single item = to a endgame and its good
and all midgame content is accessible rather quickly as it should be
that player that has alot of stuff and 8 cars with a fortified base, well he has to play nice or else fresh spawn can put in the effort to turn the game world via fire or zombies, against him and their is no cure to this as it should be

That's where NPCs could and should come into play - you live secluded in a rather zombie-proof base, stocked up to the roof and alone or only a small group? Perfect - that's the kind of place that would attract raiders! 

I honestly think that TWD is pretty realistic in this regard and after a few years apocalypse it's the people you should fear not the rotten corpses idling around.

And maybe zombie hordes at random too...?

51 minutes ago, doshskia said:

i would not agree with, twd is a terrible show
and the whole "the people you should fear the most are not the dead" is a rather baseless theory

also npcs are hard to do in a flexible game like this

That is what we are going for though. It's inevitable that if people survive for years, in a world with no rules - people will become the bigger threat. TWD and other zombie media similar to that, pretty much always ends up the same and that's why it's realistic in that regard. That's not to say that zombies won't be a threat, still, but with veteran survivors it'll be cockiness that gets them rather than inexperience. People are unpredictable, zombies are not.

I can't link it now but we have two in depth blogs about the NPCs systems that have been worked on for B43, as of now.