Project Zomboid wont start when I Click Play on Steam

HyruleJoe

so for the past hour or so ive been trying to do everything the internet says on how to fix project zomboid, i had just Barely baught the game today and cant even play it.

ive tried

- unistalling/Reinstalling

- running as administator

- loading older version

- running it in both launch options

- using steam to check for bugs

- updating PC and Graphics Engine

- Few others

My PC also should be able to run it, possible more than fine

Processor    AMD Ryzen 5 5600H with Radeon Graphics            3.30 GHz
Installed RAM    32.0 GB (31.4 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

if any of you know how to fix these please let me know, because im not going to shelf this game that i just spent 20$ on. And if the Devs see this, please make it so this issue doesnt happen for anyone else by any means possible

Alright this may sound like the dumbest thing you've ever heard, but it's not mentioned in the post: Have you checked task manager to make sure that there isn't an executable for Project Zomboid already running in your background processes? I've had issues in the past where a game "closes" but doesn't fully close out the executable. You can also potentially fix this by restarting your PC if you can't find it in background processes.

If you have tried this, then I'm sorry but that's all the advice I've got. You've done pretty much everything I can think of.

Hugo's advice might also work, running it directly from your files could help, and posting your console.txt would definitely be a big help.

Edited by PoshRocketeer

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Beard said:

Can you try downloading and installing the latest drivers from the Intel website and then try starting the game again?
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/232130/intel-core-i713620h-processor-24m-cache-up-to-4-90-ghz/downloads.html

Thank you so much, now it's works like a charm. I already updated the nVidia drivers but not the intel ones. Thanks once again.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2023 at 10:02 AM, Beard said:

Can you share your console.txt file found in C:\Users\YourUserName\Zomboid?

hello i have a similar bug. When I launch my game I am offered two ways to launch my game. Both options do not work. So I have lots of things but nothing that works. I recently wanted to send you the console.txt but I can't find it. If you can help me

4 hours ago, Beard said:

Can you instead share screenshots of the console window that shows up when you use the Alternate Launch?

Here are the screensshots of the window console when I launch my games with the Laucnh alternative

Capture d'écran 2023-09-01 161402.png

Capture d'écran 2023-09-01 161427.png

Capture d'écran 2023-09-01 161444.png

Capture d'écran 2023-09-01 161503.png

Capture d'écran 2023-09-01 161520.png

Capture d'écran 2023-09-01 161558.png

Capture d'écran 2023-09-01 161715.png

Capture d'écran 2023-09-01 161730.png

Capture d'écran 2023-09-01 161745.png

Capture d'écran 2023-09-01 161801.png

Thanks, the errors seem to show that the folders are inaccessible, likely due to something blocking the game from accessing the folders.

Try going to your Steam Library > Right click Project Zomboid > Properties > Set Launch Options > Type -cachedir=C:\Zomboid > Start the game

20 hours ago, Beard said:

Thanks, the errors seem to show that the folders are inaccessible, likely due to something blocking the game from accessing the folders.

Try going to your Steam Library > Right click Project Zomboid > Properties > Set Launch Options > Type -cachedir=C:\Zomboid > Start the game

Thank you very much!! I had no hope and you found the solution!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, you are very cool, trying to help!!!!!!.

I recently started playing and I lasted for at least 4 days hahaha, but I was hooked again, and I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM, I have tried everything, and I can't get it to start, through steam. I put start and and it doesn't come in.

ppoooorrr pleaserrr. thank you

22 hours ago, manuj said:

Hello, you are very cool, trying to help!!!!!!.

I recently started playing and I lasted for at least 4 days hahaha, but I was hooked again, and I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM, I have tried everything, and I can't get it to start, through steam. I put start and and it doesn't come in.

ppoooorrr pleaserrr. thank you

Can you provide the same info as posted above? So I can check if you have the same issue.

7 minutes ago, manuj said:

I tried

- uninstall/reinstall

- running as administrator

- loading an older version

- running it on both startup options

- use Steam to check for errors

- PC and graphics engine update

- Some others

My PC should also be able to run it, possibly more than fine.

All those errors look like display issues.
Try going to the C:\Users\YourUserName\Zomboid folder and edit the options.ini file.

In that file, edit the fullscreen=true line to fullscreen=false

Then try launching the game again.

It is possible that if you had a different monitor connected in the past, the old resolution could have caused issues, since it would still try to load the resolution from the old monitor. Though this exact error might have many different causes, it would just be related to the display of the game failing to be created.

I see that Beard u helping a lot of players and i wish u can help one more haha
PZ wont start, its shows black screen like then shut down tryed bouth starts options and still didnt help.
Reinstall didnt help too

Edit: i found solution to my error in one of ur tips 

Edited by LesbSamuraj

• 3 months later...