[Dedicateds and Mods] - A Mod Launcher before game startup to circumvent Steam's automatic mod updates

bliss

There are other games that have mod launchers (XCOM comes to mind) and I'm not sure if it is doable, but if you devs could take control over if a player updates a mod or not, , through a mod launcher, it would 100% solve the "dedicated server has a different version of your mod" problem.

Let players have more control over their mod versions and servers synch!

As it is now, I assume that since there are no mod launchers, Steam promotes its own process to keep everything up to date. However, if there were some sort of intermediary system (a launcher) inbeetween the workshop and the game itself, manual updates would be possible.

Edited by bliss

Unfortunately, this isn't a problem that Indie Stone can do anything about. Mods automatically update in the background, or if you have automatic downloads disabled it will force it before you can open the game. This would also mean that Steam would force mods to update when opening a launcher, as Steam won't let you open game launchers until any downloads for the game are completed. As far as I know, there is no way for Indie Stone to allow for selecting older versions of mods either, unless the mod author specifically uploads an old version.

Edited by PoshRocketeer