kinyoshi

Do you concur?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Well, Do You??

• YES
    • NO
  2. 2. Dual Wield At Grandmaster For That Weapon?

• Yes
    • No

It is definately for advanced fighters but 2 small axes is humanly possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf8jWtCdFWI

You may notice some subtle differences between the two small, balanced combat axes used in that video and an average fire axe.  Fighting with two small one-handed weapons like that is fine, but as you say, it is only for advanced fighters.  Sets of weapons like this would be unusual to begin with, and most of the trained owners probably opted to use theirs when the apocalypse happened.

Dual wielding pistols, is not as impossible as you'd expect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HhY2xQr0zw

But I expect any survivor would shout "screw this" after 15 seconds and just continue with one pistol.

It's not impossible to hit two stationary targets from 10 feet away, no.  I'd like to see him doing this while the cutouts are trying to eat him while he's moving too.  Plus this really only works until you have to reload. :P

The main problem I see with dual weilding, aside from the difficulty of implementing it, is how little of a practical effect you get.  Since you can't dual-wield the heavy weapons that do useful things like knock zombies back, you're stuck using small, intimate slashing or stabbing weapons against a wall of hungry flesh that does not know pain.  Anyone who's tried to fend off a group of zombies with a Kitten knife knows how that story ends.

The only time I see this being really useful is in being able to dual-weild a second pistol for the purposes of emptying two clips at something instead of just one.  Of course, then you have to reload, and your hands are full.  You could still reload both while "holding" them, but maybe each clip would take like 20-50% longer to insert to represent your hands being awkwardly full.\

(Edit: "Kitten" knife is a typo I refuse to fix.)

It is definately for advanced fighters but 2 small axes is humanly possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf8jWtCdFWI

You may notice some subtle differences between the two small, balanced combat axes used in that video and an average fire axe.  Fighting with two small one-handed weapons like that is fine, but as you say, it is only for advanced fighters.  Sets of weapons like this would be unusual to begin with, and most of the trained owners probably opted to use theirs when the apocalypse happened.

Dual wielding pistols, is not as impossible as you'd expect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HhY2xQr0zw

But I expect any survivor would shout "screw this" after 15 seconds and just continue with one pistol.

It's not impossible to hit two stationary targets from 10 feet away, no.  I'd like to see him doing this while the cutouts are trying to eat him while he's moving too.  Plus this really only works until you have to reload. :P

The main problem I see with dual weilding, aside from the difficulty of implementing it, is how little of a practical effect you get.  Since you can't dual-wield the heavy weapons that do useful things like knock zombies back, you're stuck using small, intimate slashing or stabbing weapons against a wall of hungry flesh that does not know pain.  Anyone who's tried to fend off a group of zombies with a Kitten knife knows how that story ends.

The only time I see this being really useful is in being able to dual-weild a second pistol for the purposes of emptying two clips at something instead of just one.  Of course, then you have to reload, and your hands are full.  You could still reload both while "holding" them, but maybe each clip would take like 20-50% longer to insert to represent your hands being awkwardly full.\

(Edit: "Kitten" knife is a typo I refuse to fix.)

That is a big problem people are overlooking because even if you are a master with that weapon and can reload in no time you throw a 2nd gun into the equation and you have effectively screwed yourself, I never understood why games like the CoD line of games seems to think that dual wielding is faster and easier to reload than a single gun, but hey I guess some people are into that logic.

It's easy for an FPS - just dip the gun model below the screen and the character reloads it... somehow. :P

It's realistic enough for two pistols - you could tuck one under your arm while you load the other one, for example.  This frees up your other hand but also makes you a bit more clumsy, so you need a bit more time to load a clip.

You could also just empty both clips then drop your second gun and reload normally.  Not sure how you'd implement something like that in the game, though.

All told I think it would be far too unrealistic and far more work to add into the game than it would be worth. First, they'd have to change the entire equipping system to go with it. Then, they'd have to change the skill system to go with it. Then, they'd have to change the sprites and animations (and we don't even fully have either for existing weapons yet).

Dual wielding any kind of firearm has been proven to make people drastically less accurate and as has been brought up also, gives a high chance to fumble any kind of reload attempt. Plus, there's just no reason to do it. If you're firing both at one target, you're simply wasting ammo and reducing your own accuracy. If you're firing at two targets... well... even the pros struggle to do that accurately. Either way will only speed up your impending death.

As far as dual wielding melee weapons, there's just no reason. Fireaxes and Sledges are impossible to do effectively (trust me, I used to use a fire axe every day). For knives there's just no point. Again, you're just making yourself more likely to miss, as well as losing the free hand you could be using for other things.

The only time I would see this being remotely plausible is if you could use a pistol (ONLY) in one hand and a dagger, pen/pencil, or utensil (ONLY) in the other hand. It's worth noting that having two hands (even on a pistol) makes you much more accurate and able to deal with recoil better. So even then it's likely a bad to middling idea.

All told I think it would be far too unrealistic and far more work to add into the game than it would be worth. First, they'd have to change the entire equipping system to go with it. Then, they'd have to change the skill system to go with it. Then, they'd have to change the sprites and animations (and we don't even fully have either for existing weapons yet).

Dual wielding any kind of firearm has been proven to make people drastically less accurate and as has been brought up also, gives a high chance to fumble any kind of reload attempt. Plus, there's just no reason to do it. If you're firing both at one target, you're simply wasting ammo and reducing your own accuracy. If you're firing at two targets... well... even the pros struggle to do that accurately. Either way will only speed up your impending death.

As far as dual wielding melee weapons, there's just no reason. Fireaxes and Sledges are impossible to do effectively (trust me, I used to use a fire axe every day). For knives there's just no point. Again, you're just making yourself more likely to miss, as well as losing the free hand you could be using for other things.

The only time I would see this being remotely plausible is if you could use a pistol (ONLY) in one hand and a dagger, pen/pencil, or utensil (ONLY) in the other hand. It's worth noting that having two hands (even on a pistol) makes you much more accurate and able to deal with recoil better. So even then it's likely a bad to middling idea.

maybe instead of that you could just tie a knife to a gun and use it as a bayonet so the system wouldn't have to be redone and have the secondary fire button be a different key.