Starting Camp Fire

CryptKeeper

I've created a camp fire ring on the ground, and tried to use kindle to start a fire. My character just get tired and no fire ever appears. I've tried to use matches and a lighter but to no avail.

ANd I can't seem to get bbq grills to work either.

I've created a camp fire ring on the ground, and tried to use kindle to start a fire. My character just get tired and no fire ever appears. I've tried to use matches and a lighter but to no avail.

OK! This is tricky, but when you figure it out, it makes total sense.

Kindling is hard to start with matches and lighters, near as I can tell. This is why I use newspaper exclusively for firestarting.

Once the fire is on the ground, right click it and clik "start fire with newspaper" essentially. There are context menus.

Then, you "add fuel"

I prefer to add a single plank as fuel-- that covers most of my cooking needs.

good luck!

Oh-- and grills... they require electricity to work still. I'm sure charcoal will be a thing later. Maybe.

OK! This is tricky, but when you figure it out, it makes total sense.

Kindling is hard to start with matches and lighters, near as I can tell. This is why I use newspaper exclusively for firestarting.

I think kindling is bugged since 23.  It used to work to start fires but it may not anymore.

Ok, here are my test results so far.

After placing a fire pit on the ground by right clicking and selecting build a fire (with a "campfire materials" in inventory).

lighter or matches

newspaper, magazine or book (used general book, not educational ones)

I can light a fire for 3 hours no matter what else is in the pit. That is to say, I've added logs, planks and kindling into the fire pit and all fires last 3 hours.

When using kindle your character can fail. It takes time. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 kindle to be able to start the fire, it's not bugged it's tricky. Also be careful, one time trying to start my fire with kindle I just set my character on fire and I almost died. Does this ever happened to someone? Anyway. Take your time and be ready to spend your entire day trying to light the fire. (Does it takes that long to light a fire with newspaper/matches?)

Archived