Sledgehammer

lokyster

I searched everywhere for an answer to this but I couldn't find it anywhere. Why are there some objects that the sledgehammer is unable to destroy?(Trash cans, shelves, filling cabinets, toilets and sinks). Sometimes you end up settling in a small house for a while and quickly run out of storage space, in those cases it's annoying to have all that space in the bathroom that could be used for crates. Trash cans, shelves and filling cabinets serve as storage so in their case it's mostly a cosmetic issue - Who wants to store all their hard earned tools and food in the trash?

Also, how do you guys destroy walls that are transparent because of the camera angle? I can never click on them and bring up the "destroy wall" option.

Dunno really, I think it might have to do with how the game handles different pieces of furniture and objects. But, I know what you mean. Was fortifying the West Point Pizza Whirled ( http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.7781813868042329,0.13844325273549285,291.72455819622184 ) in multiplayer a while ago, and found I couldn't destroy the tables and chairs in the restaurant proper. Oh, I could right-click and destroyFurniture on them, but the player character would just walk over and just stand there, probably because they were unable to find a path to the spot they need to stand in to destroy the furniture. Knocking out the external walls to destroy the tables probably could have worked, but that would mean sacrificing concrete for wood.

Couldn't build crates in Pizza Whirled for some reason, so, the bins, cabinets and drink fridges performed admirable service in their steed.

Don't discount the sledge though. In the same game, I was seriously contemplating knocking out the walls between the nearby shops ( http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.7820131224645795,0.13703016549993396,243.10379849685154 ) to make a large indoor space. As for clicking on transparent walls to destroy them, I think you need to move far back enough from the wall to make it appear solid again, then you can right-click on it. Your character should walk over automatically and start the smashysmashy.

Strange. From my experience, whenever there are two objects one in front of the other and you click on the one in the front the game registers the click on the one behind, maybe if you tried to click on the edge of the one you want to destroy? I don't know.
This particular question I asked in my post came up when I was trying to destroy bathrooms and furniture in general for a base in this building (http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.8120255958540076,0.14476328813601688,163.08672111091036), only to find that there are going to be a bunch of random indestructible furniture and public bathrooms that I wanted to destroy but won't be able to.
Oh trust me, I don't discount the sledge. After having searched the Storage Lots, Large Warehouse and Hardware Store and finding none I was so desperate for a sledgehammer that I was about to make a trip to Muldraugh in search for it but was fortunate enough to find one inside of a random house. The sledgehammer is worth it for the Gun Shop alone, I got about 10 boxes of 9mm and shotgun shells each, a shotgun, 3 pistols, and an axe.

whenever there are two objects one in front of the other and you click on the one in the front the game registers the click on the one behind

My experience: Look on the ground and imagine the ground-grid / the single tiles.

You have to klick on the ground-tile (the one the object you want to destroy is placed on) to remove the item.

If you click on top of the crate, you click on the ground-tile behind the crate.

Strange. From my experience, whenever there are two objects one in front of the other and you click on the one in the front the game registers the click on the one behind, maybe if you tried to click on the edge of the one you want to destroy? I don't know.

This particular question I asked in my post came up when I was trying to destroy bathrooms and furniture in general for a base in this building (http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.8120255958540076,0.14476328813601688,163.08672111091036), only to find that there are going to be a bunch of random indestructible furniture and public bathrooms that I wanted to destroy but won't be able to.

Oh trust me, I don't discount the sledge. After having searched the Storage Lots, Large Warehouse and Hardware Store and finding none I was so desperate for a sledgehammer that I was about to make a trip to Muldraugh in search for it but was fortunate enough to find one inside of a random house. The sledgehammer is worth it for the Gun Shop alone, I got about 10 boxes of 9mm and shotgun shells each, a shotgun, 3 pistols, and an axe.

This is assuming the map-glitch with the gunstore shutters has been fixed. Last time I checked, once you smash the glass, clicking on the window frame will cause your character to hop on through, ignoring the security barrier entirely. Makes you feel all smug, looting the entire gunstore in one pass, without any strength enhancing perks. What DO you do with all that ammo? :D

EDIT: I've been thinking of having a base in that building myself actually. How's it hold up? Any tips for a would-be castle owner?

This is assuming the map-glitch with the gunstore shutters has been fixed. Last time I checked, once you smash the glass, clicking on the window frame will cause your character to hop on through, ignoring the security barrier entirely. Makes you feel all smug, looting the entire gunstore in one pass, without any strength enhancing perks. What DO you do with all that ammo? :D

EDIT: I've been thinking of having a base in that building myself actually. How's it hold up? Any tips for a would-be castle owner?

I was scared of trying out that bug because my character had already survived 3 for months and I didn't want him to get stuck. I used quite a bit of it to clear the streets around my safehouse of a large number of zombies, got ~400 kills from it. I still have ~20 boxes of 9mm bullets and shotgun shells though.

That building is great! The only problem is that it has made my game become really boring (no challenge left), if you destroy both stairs leading up to the second floor and drop a rope down one window it's completely zombie proof, you are left with 2 full floors and -building a ladder up to the roof- a third one for gardening. Just plant a bunch of crops and build a few barrels and you'll have a zombie proof, self sustaining base. From that point on boredom should be the only thing stopping you from living the rest your life peacefully through the zombie apocalypse. I don't know if they are already working on it but the devs should consider making it so that using a sheet rope as your main entrance to a base is a little bit less doable, I mean, it's not a proper rope, you should not be able to use it indefinitely without having to risk it ripping while you climb.

Oh trust me, I don't discount the sledge. After having searched the Storage Lots, Large Warehouse and Hardware Store and finding none I was so desperate for a sledgehammer that I was about to make a trip to Muldraugh in search for it but was fortunate enough to find one inside of a random house. The sledgehammer is worth it for the Gun Shop alone, I got about 10 boxes of 9mm and shotgun shells each, a shotgun, 3 pistols, and an axe.

I was scared of trying out that bug because my character had already survived 3 months and I didn't want him to get stuck. I used quite a bit of it to clear the streets around my safehouse of a large number of zombies, got ~400 kills from it. I still have ~20 boxes of 9mm bullets and shotgun shells though.

That building is great! The only problem is that it has made my game become really boring (no challenge left), if you destroy both stairs leading up to the second floor and drop a rope down one window it's completely zombie proof, you are left with 2 full floors and -building a ladder up to the roof- a third one for gardening. Just plant a bunch of crops and build a few barrels and you'll have a zombie proof, self sustaining base. From that point on boredom should be the only thing stopping you from living the rest your life peacefully through the zombie apocalypse. I don't know if they are already working on it but the devs should consider making it so that using a sheet rope as your main entrance to a base a little bit less doable, I mean, it's not a proper rope, you should not be able to use it indefinitely without having to risk of it ripping while you climb.

Looking at the building, I don't see dirt on the roof for farming. Is that a bug? Or am I missing something?

That'll be a fun feature that I'm really excited for! As I said, zombie proofing is boring. It should be literally impossible for a zombie proof base in this game. There should always be threat of death no matter what you do and what base you build, even if it's as minor as a small chance for the sheet rope to rip.

Looking at the building, I don't see dirt on the roof for farming. Is that a bug? Or am I missing something?

It's not a bug, you take an empty sand bag and a spade, right click on a dirt square and add dirt to the sand bag, go up to the roof and right click to drop the dirt, now you can plant on the roof.

It's not a bug, you take an empty sand bag and a spade, right click on a dirt square and add dirt to the sand bag, go up to the roof and right click to drop the dirt, now you can plant on the roof.
I see. Learn something new everyday...

Archived