[Request] Feature to read player positions

Jent

I would like to submit a feature request, hopefully this is the correct subforum for it.

My intention is to create an interactive map that can be viewed in a web browser for two servers that I'm hosting. The map would show the world and each active player with their respective location displayed on the map in (somewhat) realtime. However, to be able to do this, I would need the location of each player.

An ugly but workable solution would be to write the locations in JSON format to a file with the location configurable by the user. This would be rather simple on Linux to just write the file to /dev/shm/ parse the file via PHP and generate the necessary map.

I'm open to ideas. I guess it's possible to read the locations from memory, but I'd rather see this being a native feature.

This is indeed the forum to post it if you view it as a request for the actual game/sandbox option. However I see this as more of a mod. I cant see it hitting the main servers but as a private server option so you can keep track of friends I see as an acceptable mod.

This is indeed the forum to post it if you view it as a request for the actual game/sandbox option. However I see this as more of a mod. I cant see it hitting the main servers but as a private server option so you can keep track of friends I see as an acceptable mod.

I agree. There's no point in cluttering the main package with it, if it can be released as a mod. It would have to be a server-side mod.

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/4226-coordinate-viewer-v072/

The mod has a "Free for All" permission, so I'm pretty sure if you know what you're doing, you could do something with this.

Thanks for the find! I am looking into it right now.

Edit: Sadly, this seems to track only the player which has the client executing the mod. I would have to write a new mod for it, and so I shall. Further development will be posted under Mods.

You'll have to note that mods aren't officially supported I'm MP yet so you might have to turn to some not so clean coding, (might require overwriting game files) if you don't want to wait.

I've noticed that, and it's fine. I'm already underway with it.

Will post as WIP once I have basic functionality.