"Save cannot be loaded" error on Multiplayer

Aluren

Question

So I was playing on a multiplayer server hosted by me, with some friends and yesterday when I quit the game the game crashed. Had to open task manager and close the game through there, today when we tried playing again I couldn't open the server and this message was on the screen

Save cannot be loaded.

Due to the extent of changes required to implement vehicles, saves from earlier versions are non-compatible.

To continue this game: access pre-vehicles Build 38.30 via the Steam betas tab.

SavedGameWorldVersion: 1 CurrentWorldVersion: 194

We're not using any mods, 100% vanilla game.

6 answers to this question

That should not be the case since the map_t.bin file only controls some time sensitive info, it does not touch the map. Meaning the likely explanation is that the crash was so bad that it just corrupted some of the chunks and the server was forced to reset them.

To fix the version error, first create a new single player game with the exact same mods (if any).
Then navigate to “C:\Users\YourUserName\Zomboid\Saves” find your specific broken save folder and back it up. Then open the new game save folder that you created. From there copy the “map_ver.bin” file and paste it into the broken save folder.
That should fix the version issue, if it does not then deleting the “map_t.bin” file could fix it as well, though this will cause issues with several other features such as keeping track of time.

On 10/25/2022 at 6:37 PM, Beard said:

That should not be the case since the map_t.bin file only controls some time sensitive info, it does not touch the map. Meaning the likely explanation is that the crash was so bad that it just corrupted some of the chunks and the server was forced to reset them.

All the trees we cut down around our base were back, the house we were based in wasn't completely reset to the original but around 95% of the changes were gone, all the crates with loot were gone as well and the date was reset. Very strange, we thought about keeping the characters since they are fine and just rebuilding the base, but another friend started playing with us so we decided to start over in a new game. But thanks for the help Beard, hopefully the crash won't happen again.

2 hours ago, Beard said:

To fix the version error, first create a new single player game with the exact same mods (if any).
Then navigate to “C:\Users\YourUserName\Zomboid\Saves” find your specific broken save folder and back it up. Then open the new game save folder that you created. From there copy the “map_ver.bin” file and paste it into the broken save folder.
That should fix the version issue, if it does not then deleting the “map_t.bin” file could fix it as well, though this will cause issues with several other features such as keeping track of time.

There are two folders of the broken saved game, "Server" and "Server_player", the normal one doesn't have a map_ver.bin file, should I still copy the file into it? Or do you mean to copy it into the "_player" folder?

You would have to copy it into the server folder and not the player one. Also I made a mistake in the post, for servers it would be the map_meta.bin file instead of the ver file. So try moving that one, the rest of the message should be correct. Also I would recommend making a backup of the broken save folder just in case.

Copying a new map_meta.bin into the server folder did nothing, error still persists, sadly. Deleting the map_t.bin allows me to start the server again, but apparently the map is completely reset, our vehicles are still there but aside from that, whole map is reset

Archived