[41.73] [Singleplayer] Maggots not despawning

HolyOnion

• Version? 41.73
	• Singleplayer/Multiplayer?  Single
	• Host or dedicated? N/A
	• Mods? Yes
	• Old or new save? Old
	• Reproduction steps: Start a new game on the previous version, then update to 41.73 and continue game and kill zombies. Maggots will be left everywhere as they are not added to the removal list.

I really don't want to abandon my save because several characters need to be added to a string but I don't have a way to do it. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/21/2022 at 3:52 AM, HolyOnion said:
	• Version? 41.73
	• Singleplayer/Multiplayer?  Single
	• Host or dedicated? N/A
	• Mods? Yes
	• Old or new save? Old
	• Reproduction steps: Start a new game on the previous version, then update to 41.73 and continue game and kill zombies. Maggots will be left everywhere as they are not added to the removal list.

I really don't want to abandon my save because several characters need to be added to a string but I don't have a way to do it. 

On 8/26/2022 at 3:26 AM, Djentleman said:

is there anything that can be done about this? I'm tired of trying to forage and finding endless amounts of maggots.

I've had the same issue with my custom sandbox from 41.56.

The solution: you have to add these new items in your "map_sand.bin" file (located in your save's directory). The problem is this file is binary, so you have to use a Hex-eitor (I've used "GHex").

The format is quite simple (similar to Hollerith's strings): each value is preceded with a 2-byte number indicating the length of the following data string. Search for "WorldItemRemovalList" string; you will find something like "..WorldItemRemovalList" where "dots" are not really periods, but a number in Hexadecimal 0x0014 (it is 20 in decimal) and you can notice that the "WorldItemRemovalList" entry is indeed 20 ASCII characters long. Right next to it will be the list in question, preceded with its length-number. In my case it was "Base.Vest,Base.Shirt,Base.Blouse,Base.Skirt,Base.Shoes,Base.Hat,Base.Glasses" with a length of 76 ASCII symbols (number 0x004C).

Just add (insert, not overwrite!) the ",Base.Maggots,Base.Maggots2" to the list and increase the preceding number by 27 (provided I've counted the symbols right ;) ): 76+27=103 (0x0067) and you are set!