Some inaccuracy

bugme

Hello. Being that the devs seem to be a bunch of cheeky brits, I see that you may need some help with accuracy of weapons. I don't mean how straight they shoot, I mean "historical accuracy." I'll also pose some other accuracy suggestions ITT that I think would improve the game without any drawback I can think of.

-Modern M1911 magazines appear to be 8 round, not 7 round. In the setting of this game, the majority of M1911 magazines would surely be 8 rounds.

-Desert Eagle is more commonly chambered in 50 AE and not 44 magnum, but in the interest of not having too many ammo types, you may want to keep this the way it is.

-The Beretta M9 is a notoriously unreliable gun.

-Armalite platform guns (including the M16) being unreliable is a myth that has been debunked.

-The M14 actually shoots 7.62 NATO and not .308 winchester. They are basically the same round, except .308 winchester is higher pressure. Putting this round in a M14 would cause it to potentially fail in a dangerous way (the gun would explode).

-The M14 does not actually look like an M14. Despite the fact that you changed the model, it still looks more like a Mini-14 to me. I would change the model back to the old version, however, I would use the magazine from the new version. The new version has a much more correct sized magazine. To make it historically accurate, I would make it hold 30 rounds, and I would make it either .223 or 5.56. This makes even more sense, as the Mini-14 was never a military rifle, so it would be found in police stations and homes, etc.

-The Remington rifles. Oh boy. I would not use "MSR" as a name because it sounds like Mauser. The likelihood of an American owning a Mauser rifle is very small. I'd maybe just name them R700 and R788. The MSR700 looks like a Remington 700, and I assume the MSR788 is a Remington 788. There's a lot of problems here. The model used for the Remington 700 shows that is has a detachable 10 round magazine, but when you use it in game, it for some reason has a non-detachable 3-round magazine. This is very incorrect, the 3d model of the gun does not match the actual in-game functionality at all. The 788 looks very incorrect. Other than the problems with the stock, the 788 also has huge magazine problems. The model shows a large magazine, but in game, you can only hold 3 rounds. In real life, the 788 uses a very short detachable 3 round magazine. Basically, make the magazine shorter on the 3d model.

-JS2000 is a strange name for a shotgun. It sounds like it would be some kind of sci-fi laser blaster or something. The gun looks like a Remington 870. Maybe call it an R870?

Another thing: no pawn shops? In rural Kentucky? I think they'd be a good addition. They would have fewer guns, and would also have things like watches, jewelry, electronics, etc. Apparently there's one in Louisville but that's all I could find. Maybe I missed some.

Another another thing: the cars. There's a euro-like sports car, a totally-not-a-Corvette, a totally-not-an-Impala, and another 4 door. The most well known American performance car is the muscle car. The game needs more 2 door performance cars, especially muscle cars if you want to be more accurate regarding the American performance car market.

I have answered the questions from the "how to write a good suggestion" thread here:

Is it somewhat realistic?
It's more realistic than the game currently is.

Does it fit with the spirit of PZ?
100%

Would it make the game too easy?
No.

Would it require rewriting the entire game (like changing the camera view, for instance)
Definitely no.

Would it add enough to the gameplay that it would be worth taking the time to add?
I think so.

Would it be found in Muldraugh, Kentucky common enough to be added?
Yes.

• 3 months later...
On 8/10/2022 at 5:26 PM, bugme said:

Hello. Being that the devs seem to be a bunch of cheeky brits, I see that you may need some help with accuracy of weapons. I don't mean how straight they shoot, I mean "historical accuracy." I'll also pose some other accuracy suggestions ITT that I think would improve the game without any drawback I can think of.

-Modern M1911 magazines appear to be 8 round, not 7 round. In the setting of this game, the majority of M1911 magazines would surely be 8 rounds.

-Desert Eagle is more commonly chambered in 50 AE and not 44 magnum, but in the interest of not having too many ammo types, you may want to keep this the way it is.

-The Beretta M9 is a notoriously unreliable gun.

-Armalite platform guns (including the M16) being unreliable is a myth that has been debunked.

-The M14 actually shoots 7.62 NATO and not .308 winchester. They are basically the same round, except .308 winchester is higher pressure. Putting this round in a M14 would cause it to potentially fail in a dangerous way (the gun would explode).

-The M14 does not actually look like an M14. Despite the fact that you changed the model, it still looks more like a Mini-14 to me. I would change the model back to the old version, however, I would use the magazine from the new version. The new version has a much more correct sized magazine. To make it historically accurate, I would make it hold 30 rounds, and I would make it either .223 or 5.56. This makes even more sense, as the Mini-14 was never a military rifle, so it would be found in police stations and homes, etc.

-The Remington rifles. Oh boy. I would not use "MSR" as a name because it sounds like Mauser. The likelihood of an American owning a Mauser rifle is very small. I'd maybe just name them R700 and R788. The MSR700 looks like a Remington 700, and I assume the MSR788 is a Remington 788. There's a lot of problems here. The model used for the Remington 700 shows that is has a detachable 10 round magazine, but when you use it in game, it for some reason has a non-detachable 3-round magazine. This is very incorrect, the 3d model of the gun does not match the actual in-game functionality at all. The 788 looks very incorrect. Other than the problems with the stock, the 788 also has huge magazine problems. The model shows a large magazine, but in game, you can only hold 3 rounds. In real life, the 788 uses a very short detachable 3 round magazine. Basically, make the magazine shorter on the 3d model.

-JS2000 is a strange name for a shotgun. It sounds like it would be some kind of sci-fi laser blaster or something. The gun looks like a Remington 870. Maybe call it an R870?

Another thing: no pawn shops? In rural Kentucky? I think they'd be a good addition. They would have fewer guns, and would also have things like watches, jewelry, electronics, etc. Apparently there's one in Louisville but that's all I could find. Maybe I missed some.

Another another thing: the cars. There's a euro-like sports car, a totally-not-a-Corvette, a totally-not-an-Impala, and another 4 door. The most well known American performance car is the muscle car. The game needs more 2 door performance cars, especially muscle cars if you want to be more accurate regarding the American performance car market.

I have answered the questions from the "how to write a good suggestion" thread here:

Is it somewhat realistic?
It's more realistic than the game currently is.

Does it fit with the spirit of PZ?
100%

Would it make the game too easy?
No.

Would it require rewriting the entire game (like changing the camera view, for instance)
Definitely no.

Would it add enough to the gameplay that it would be worth taking the time to add?
I think so.

Would it be found in Muldraugh, Kentucky common enough to be added?
Yes.

Alright, let us pick through this a little

- They might have based their M1911 on the government model, hence the M designation. This probably allows them to skirt licensing fees. Hence why most of the guns use US Military designations, rather than brand names.

- The fact that you are going to claim the M9 is famously unreliable, then in the very next line defend AR rifles is kinda funny. The myth about the M9 came from a failure during the initial testing with some slides, due to the ammo being used during testing being higher pressure than NATO spec. The slides were modified and they had no issues after that. Most other problems reported after that had to do with the fact that the military can't use hollow point 9mm. It was in service for about as long as the M4, so it must've been good enough.

- As noted, Mini-14 is a brand name, M14 is military designation. They probably made it a little less visually accurate just to be sure Springfield or someone didn't make a fuss.

Also....there are pawn shops.... I think theres 2 of them in Louisville, as well as a Military Surplus store. Outside of Louisville theres a gunshop in West Point, a "general store" in Doe Valley which has a gunshop inside, and a military surplus store on the west side of the map, northwest of Rosewood.

Also....the Corvette and Impala are both American sports cars.....Not European....?

• 5 months later...
On 11/28/2022 at 2:33 AM, knightshousegames said:

Alright, let us pick through this a little

- They might have based their M1911 on the government model, hence the M designation. This probably allows them to skirt licensing fees. Hence why most of the guns use US Military designations, rather than brand names.

- The fact that you are going to claim the M9 is famously unreliable, then in the very next line defend AR rifles is kinda funny. The myth about the M9 came from a failure during the initial testing with some slides, due to the ammo being used during testing being higher pressure than NATO spec. The slides were modified and they had no issues after that. Most other problems reported after that had to do with the fact that the military can't use hollow point 9mm. It was in service for about as long as the M4, so it must've been good enough.

- As noted, Mini-14 is a brand name, M14 is military designation. They probably made it a little less visually accurate just to be sure Springfield or someone didn't make a fuss.

Also....there are pawn shops.... I think theres 2 of them in Louisville, as well as a Military Surplus store. Outside of Louisville theres a gunshop in West Point, a "general store" in Doe Valley which has a gunshop inside, and a military surplus store on the west side of the map, northwest of Rosewood.

Also....the Corvette and Impala are both American sports cars.....Not European....?

Late reply.

-The 1911 has been free of patents for a very long time, which means no royalties. I don't know if the name is trademarked, but if it is, it's surely the M1911 name that is trademarked. But given that the patents have expired, many different companies now make 1911s.

-The ARs are reliable! Two videos for you:

The unreliable AR platform is a myth.

Armalite rifles have been in American service for longer than the M9 pistol. The 1911 was never fully removed from American service despite it being over 100 years old by this point due to unreliability with the M9. However, America has been using the Armalite platform for considerable time as its service rifle and has only recently begun to switch over to a Sig rifle, and it's not due to reliability problems, it's due to the American military wanting a gun with armor penetration.

The M9 had the lowest satisfaction rating of any weapon in the US military and 26% of soldiers who fired their M9 in combat reported a jam.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beretta_M9#Reliability_and_confidence_issues

Despite the Beretta M9 being in service for less time than the M16/M4 platform, they replaced it faster than the M4 with a new service pistol.

-If they don't want to get sued by Ruger or something, that's fine, but I think they should make the model more closely resemble the M14.

-If these are all specifically pawn shops, sorry I missed them.

-The corvette is indeed an American sports car. The Impala is a large passenger sedan, I don't think it's ever been considered a sports car. My point was that the game needs some muscle cars, which are the most common type of American sports car, and are more or less unique to America. Having these other cars is fine, but I think the game should better reflect the American performance car market by including what many deem the staple of American sports cars: the muscle car. Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger are some examples.