Blood decals should have a lifespan before total removal like corpses.

Irken Empire

I don't mind blood decals, it looks nice when you decimate a horde of 100 zombies and you see that bloodshed aftermath, or when you get a wound and you start leaving a blood trail, those are some cool details, but after some time the blood decals start causing my game to stutter, especially when I load into the game near areas heavily hit with post combat blood decals or driving by those areas, some minutes after loading into the game stuttering becomes norma-ish, and by that I mean you can stil feel it, but it's not bad. This used to be a problem with corpses but now they despawn after 9 days by default. It'd be really great if blood decals despawned like corpses after a specified timespan or after a storm or 1-5 ligher rainfalls. Also it looks weird when snow falls over it, somehow the blood gets on top of the snow and it's still visible. In MP I loved tracking people with blood decals but man servers that were up for more then a week/month are a disaster, unless you turn off the blood decals in settings you won't be playing there anymore, but that's another thing I don't like, if I turn them off I can'ttrack people nor could I see it in singleplayer, so there should be a balance, just like the one with corpses, but this only counts for blood decals outside in the open, blood decals in closed spaces like houses, stores etc. should stay there, but you should be able to clean it off with a bucket of water, and a sponge broom or a towel with enough effort.

Edited by The Nine Tailed Fox

Although not the fix you're looking for, you could set blood effects to minimum in sandbox, and there shouldn't be as much. I do like how they darken it with time, which looks more realistic. Maybe they can have it go from red, darkred, then a gradual fade until it's gone. Don't know what kind of performance impact making them become translucent prior to disappearing would cause, however. I recall watching flash videos in the past, and noticed they got chuggy as all hell when transparent images were used, and if that operates the same way in game might make that idea as a fix counter productive.

My biggest gripe with blood effects are the ones on broken windows, chainlink fences and such. Floating blood.

Well, that, and when there's a lot of fighting in one area and all the walls are covered, they begin looking more and more like ugly tiles. I would love to see either more splatter patterns so the walls don't look like a reused hallway animations on a loop, or make it so the overlay isn't always centered on a tile, and give them the ability to overlap onto other tiles.

Of course, all those ideas would likely decrease performance, so is a little redundant. </digression>