A trail of breadcrumbs (trait/skill idea)

Ropedragon

The new foraging system is great and it opens up a number of potential ideas for traits, both positive and negative. The trait/skill idea that has been on my mind would be to integrate some kind of tracking to the investigation vision. Maybe players could leave a trail behind them only perceptible for a while after they've walked in an area. This could serve a variety of functions:

• It could help prevent players getting lost in deep woods when going on longer foraging trips. They wiill have effectively left a trail of breadcrumbs in their wake to follow back to home.
  • It would have obvious PVP implications, with players chasing one another down by tracking their movements. Could even add certain things to the investigation like how long ago a campfire had been lit, etc.
  • Could dovetail nicely onto hunting animals whenever they are released in the future. Perhaps higher tracking skills allow you to see what specific animal a track is from, or how long ago it had been in the area.
Edited by Ropedragon

A few more points to add:

• I think that this would have to apply only to organic surfaces like dirt, grass, etc. It would be odd if concrete could give an indication of somebody's presence.
  • Certain weather conditions could make tracking more or less difficult. Rain might obscure tracks, making them more difficult to follow, whilst snow could make them far more visible.
  • There could be mechanics added for hiding one's tracks, or at least minimizing them. Not sure how this would work.
  • Perhaps people walking in single file could obscure their numbers? Think I'm reaching now.
Edited by Ropedragon

• Ropedragon changed the title to A trail of breadcrumbs (trait/skill idea)