Upgrading carpentry made items

Erik

As you all now the first part of the house you start building isn't very pretty because of your low carpentry skill.

This suggestion means that by applying like 1 plank to your wall/floor you can upgrade it to the current state of your carpentry.

Though you are planning on making it so that you get drop when you destroy the wall, this method would take less time and wont aquire a sledgy.

Have to examine it from a realism standpoint, though. Fcking up a piece of wall in a house is pretty much forever- you tear down the house or you deal with it. I think it should stay as is in the game. Tacking on some extra 2x4 really doesn't do much for structural integrity.

I could maybe get behind having plywood that you could nail to the item that makes it look nice, but nothing else.

Yea, realism is what wins. But the option to just ad some 2x4s or whatever to a early built wall to withstand a few more zombieheadbutts would be nice. Like when you barricade windows. 
So if you are in a pickle or when a horde decides to walk up and say hello, you can just swing up your hammer and some nails to reinforce that "lvl1" wall. 

Thanks for your opinions, I got this other idea about this, that you should  be able to break the carpentry down with the hammer and get all the planks back but the nails in the wall will break.

I don't like sledgehammers.

Thanks for your opinions, I got this other idea about this, that you should  be able to break the carpentry down with the hammer and get all the planks back but the nails in the wall will break.

I don't like sledgehammers.

Isn´t this already inmplemented? :S Or am I confusing it for breaking doors

You will be able to break any carpentry and get some of the recources back(in the future), but this suggest that you get everything back epcept nails.

Oh, my bad. In that case. I am pro that you get just something back. Just because that you might break somehting during the dissaemble.

I can get behind this idea.

Have to examine it from a realism standpoint, though. Fcking up a piece of wall in a house is pretty much forever- you tear down the house or you deal with it. I think it should stay as is in the game. Tacking on some extra 2x4 really doesn't do much for structural integrity.

That can still be what happens, you'd just be cutting out the middleman by using the upgrade option. Choosing to upgrade a previously built wall could bring up an animation of your character using the back end of the hammer to pull nails out of the wall, rearranging the planks, and using the new material to build it back up better. It makes more sense than taking an axe to perfectly good wood just for the heck of it.

Though that would likely be just for lengths of wall that don't have anything built on top of it, like a fence that keeps zeds out. If you wanna build a full house with a roof and everything, I'd suggest that your character be completely unable to build anything more than an improvised lean-to unless they're at a higher level of carpentry, cause building a big house with no experience in carpentry whatsoever is a bit much.

It's really not possible to 'upgrade' a wall, though, not like that. The material isn't really going to be salvageable (at least, not in good quality afterwords). I think having to tear it down and rebuild it is a good thing. That's how it works in real life, and I don't see the gameplay advantage of having it any other way in-game other than 'because I want it to look better without having to redo the work,' which isn't really a reason at all.

I still think it makes zero sense to take an axe to perfectly good wood. Disassemble it to regain some of the materials and, while you're at it, you may as well take materials you have in your inventory to build a better, stronger wall to replace it. I see nothing wrong with upgrading the wall given that context.

Like I said before, you're not going to salvage a whole lot of great wood even taking it apart carefully. If it takes twice the time it normally does to build, and only salvages about 30% of the materials I'd be okay with it.

I'm fine with that too. Most of the nails and one plank of wood, maybe? Change tearing it down with a melee weapon to retrieving no material at all and add this in as the preferable option if you're not in a hurry to get the most bang for your material buck.

You can already barricade crap walls to improve their HP, though the new planks are arranged as if you've barricaded a window.

Perhaps make a wall more barricadable than a window? Say, you can add six barricades to a wall, instead of four for a window, and have the new planks nailed on in such a way that you cover up the gaps in the wall? Obviously the gaps between wall planks are still there; you've just covered them with more planks.

I'd honestly prefer more wood and less nails. Taking down the house that I did, almost all of the nails were unusable. Given, it was an older house so the nails had been there for quite a while. Still, in my experience taking nails out almost inevitably ends in them being bent. With boards, you can at least trim them down a few inches (where the original nails were) and have a usable board that's not going to split (which it will if you keep driving nails in the ends).

Nails are currently a finite resource, so a lot of extra care should be taken to recover as many of them as possible. Wood is hard to get, depending on where you are, but there are a lot more trees than nails. It makes more sense from a gameplay perspective to retrieve more nails than wood, but I can understand why you'd probably retrieve more usable wood than nails.

Nails are currently a finite resource, so a lot of extra care should be taken to recover as many of them as possible. Wood is hard to get, depending on where you are, but there are a lot more trees than nails. It makes more sense from a gameplay perspective to retrieve more nails than wood, but I can understand why you'd probably retrieve more usable wood than nails.

Fair point, I know I'd be careful with them if I were desperate for them. You can pull nails straight out with a hammer or cat's claw, although it's much harder than using them at an angle to pry. Roughly even amount of both, then, maybe?

Sounds fair. How does it sound to retrieve bent or broken nails as a trash item? With a vice grip you might be able to straighten the bent ones out again, though I've never tried that so I don't know if it's possible without breaking the nail.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to be able to tear down as much of an existing structure as possible to reclaim materials, instead of just doors. Also, it'd be nice to be able to use more than a sledge to accomplish knocking down walls and furniture; you can already use an axe on carpentry you built to reclaim materials, but not existing walls. Why does using a sledge results in nothing gained? Very strange.

Was a thread about that, it would be extremely difficult, dangerous and you wouldn't get much back.

But, but... but there aren't any more doors near enough to my safe house; I scavenged them all. I risk my neck the further out I go, instead of being able to demolish a whole structure (basically all the structures nearby), and the furnature in it, over time.

Eh, oh well. If it's been discussed at length and discarded, no sense in arguing.