Safe House Construction Questions

Jatta Pake

I couldn't find the answer to these questions on the wiki so I'll ask them here:

Furniture

1.  Can you destroy furniture for planks?  How do you do this?  Attack swing or right click?

2.  Do you need to equip a tool in as your Primary to destroy furniture?  What tools work? Sledgehammer? Hammer? Axe? Any others?

3.  Can you destroy any furniture you see in the house?  Or are any items "undestroyable"? Can you destroy cabinets, stove, or refrigerator?

Access

1.  The ideal access point to your safehouse should be a sheet rope to a second floor window covered by a sheet, correct?  Zombies can't climb sheet ropes, correct?

2.  Which is better - barricaded doors and windows, or player built walls blocking off access to doors/windows?

Home Decorating

1.  I've come across cans of paint.  Can I cover up blood soaked walls with a fresh coat?

2.  What does a can of paint cover - walls, floors, furniture?  Does it allow me to change the color of a single wall tile?  If yes, how many tiles does a can of paint cover?  Do I need a paint brush equipped as Primary?  Do you right click on the wall?

I couldn't find the answer to these questions on the wiki so I'll ask them here:

Furniture

1.  Can you destroy furniture for planks?  How do you do this?  Attack swing or right click?

No, only doors currently.  Just attack doors.

2.  Do you need to equip a tool in as your Primary to destroy furniture?  What tools work? Sledgehammer? Hammer? Axe? Any others?

Furniture destruction isn't in; walls can be right-click destroyed by a sledgehammer.

3.  Can you destroy any furniture you see in the house?  Or are any items "undestroyable"? Can you destroy cabinets, stove, or refrigerator?

Most items are "undestroyable" to be changed in the future.

Access

1.  The ideal access point to your safehouse should be a sheet rope to a second floor window covered by a sheet, correct?  Zombies can't climb sheet ropes, correct?

Zombies cannot climb sheet ropes... correct.

2.  Which is better - barricaded doors and windows, or player built walls blocking off access to doors/windows?

At higher levels of carpentry; player built walls will have more "health" than barricaded doors/windows.  And you can barricade player-made walls for extra health on them... so if you've got the time, nails, and planks that's probably "better" in that it'll take longer for zombies to bash them down.

Home Decorating

1.  I've come across cans of paint.  Can I cover up blood soaked walls with a fresh coat?

See below.

2.  What does a can of paint cover - walls, floors, furniture?  Does it allow me to change the color of a single wall tile?  If yes, how many tiles does a can of paint cover?  Do I need a paint brush equipped as Primary?  Do you right click on the wall?

With player made walls you can get plaster bags and water and make a bucket of plaster (never done this).  Then you can plaster ONLY player built walls; and they can be painted.  That's the only paint use I know of at this time... I assume you would need a paint brush for that.

Just saying a few things he missed:

Doors yeld 1-3 planks, 1 doorknob and 1-2 hinges, non-player made walls and stairs can be destroyed with a sledgehammer, any weapon can take out a door, I recommend axes so don't waste them, furniture is indestructible in the future you can barricade them and destroy them.

I destroyed a chair in my safehouse with a sledgehammer today. I am going to destroy the other three chairs and dining room table next time I get a chance.

Two others report that you cannot currently destroy furniture.  Are you playing a Beta build or the current vanilla Steam release?

Furniture

Access

Home Decorating

Furniture

1. You can destroy them with a sledgehammer equipped, but it wont yield planks.

2. see previous

3. I think you can destroy everything, also walls. Not too sure about stairs though.

Acces

1. They can't climb sheet ropes.

2. Both. Player built walls (with 4x barricaded at level 3 carpentry) have more health than windows and doors that are 4x barricaded. There used to be an info screen when you hover your mouse over a door, window, player-made wall that told you how much health it had. I kinda miss that. i think the player made walls were: 1 health - 3 - 5 - 7, (regular) doors were 5, windows 0.75. Each barricade added 10 to the health.

Home Decorating

1. You can, but you need a paint brush. Never did it myself.

2. Don't know, sorry. Only walls, don't know how many.

Just saying a few things he missed:

Doors yeld 1-3 planks, 1 doorknob and 1-2 hinges, non-player made walls and stairs can be destroyed with a sledgehammer, any weapon can take out a door, I recommend axes so don't waste them, furniture is indestructible in the future you can barricade them and destroy them.

From my experience doors give 0-2 hinges plus what you said.

I destroyed a chair in my safehouse with a sledgehammer today. I am going to destroy the other three chairs and dining room table next time I get a chance.

Two others report that you cannot currently destroy furniture.  Are you playing a Beta build or the current vanilla Steam release?

im playing 17 (014) and i can destroy table, chair, wall, etc .....

I know you can destroy crates you make with an axe (I misplaced a crate and stuck myself in a corner) and I got 1 nail for my trouble.  I have destroyed existing crates in the game (with sledge), never got anything though.

I have never seen a zombie attack a crate, so I decided to use that to my advange.  I made a false entrance in my Large Warehouse.  I barricade the entrances (except one), which I tore down and replaced with a window, flanked with barbed wire.  I then left a 2 x 3 area inside, with a layer barbed wire, then crates and then a layer of windows.  I barricaded them closed.  I then stacked crates up against the other doors.

My plan was when a zombie walks jumps through the open window they get caught in a shooting gallery.  I can safely shoot them from the windows using the crates as stops and the barbed wire as a slow down.  I can also swing back around outside and lure them back out.  They have the jump through a window and into the wire... giving me time to dispatch them without firing a shot.  Died with the sickness from a scratch, so this method is completely untested.

I mean, if the zombies want to get in... give them a way in.  THEN dispatch them.  Better to give them a controlled way in to minimize the damage to your fort than have them tear up all your hard work trying to get a warm meal.