Poisoned air + Respirators

Badgzerz

Hordes of dead zombies piling up will poison the air to the point where you will vomit, get sick, or pass out from nausea. Killing hordes with fire but not disposing of the charred corpses will also poison the air but to a lesser degree. You could dispose of bodies in sealed off buildings without burning them and it would keep the outside air clean.

Medical items added - 

• Charcoal tablets 
    • Used to prevent vomiting from queasiness/nausea
    • Treats food/alcohol poisoning
    • Can be crafted with very high cooking along with a read magazine with normal charcoal
    • Common spawns in medical tables

Respirator chargables added (like batteries or ammo charges electronics or guns, masks are charged with these)

• NATO filters
    • Can be recharged with activated charcoal
      • Can become queasy at worst 
      • lightweight (just over 1/2 a lb per filter)
  • Oxygen tank
    • Can be refilled with a large auto shop type air compressor (not the type you can throw in your truck) 
      • Immune to any poisoned air
      • heavy
  • Box filter
    • Can be recharged with less activated charcoal
      • Can become nauseous and faint in the worst air quality
      • Extremely lightweight and easy to source
  • Activated Charcoal
    • Crafted from commonly looted Charcoal tablets looted from medical spawns with a mortar and pestle. The tablets it is crafted from are used to treat poisoning from things like alcohol or other toxin or stomach illness. 

Respirators added

• Military respirator 
    • Uses NATO filters, has a drinking tube, harsh perception radius reduction. heavy. Comes with an exertion penalty.
  • Firefighter mask 
    • Uses oxygen tanks, has no drinking tube at all, has a panoramic mask, heavy.
  • Medical mask 
    • Uses oxygen tanks, has no drinking tube, no perception hit, very light, reduces the protection provided by the oxygen tank, but it does increase healing rate. 
  • Contractor mask 
    • Uses box filters, has no drinking tube, no perception hit, and is very very light. Comes with an exertion penalty
  • Premium panoramic respirator
    • uses NATO filters, has a drinking tube, no perception radius hit. Medium weight. Very rare. Comes with an exertion penalty.

Tile objects added

• Air compressor
    • Can be used to refill oxygen tanks or air rifle reservoirs. 

Moodles

• Queasy can lead to vomiting which will just make you hungry and thirsty. Can be offset with tablets. If you vomit into a mask you will be panicked, hungry, thirsty, extremely anxious, and you will get reduced time from your filter/air supply. Plus your loot run will end up being cut short as you have to leave, clean your mask, and them come back better prepared. Pretty brutal isn't it? 
  • Advancing to nausea from queasiness combined with exertion will lead to passing out. 
Edited by Badgzerz

Read your other post, but I like this more in-depth version. It acts as a realistic downside to mowing down hundreds of zombies with explosives, vehicles, fire, or guns. You would need to invest A LOT of time into clearing out all the fresh corpses or else you wouldn't be able to return to the location later. It may still be pragmatic to leave them if you aren't planning to stay long, but imagine having to return later and then having to clean up the mess with a respirator. Maybe if the corpses have passed the rotting threshold, they won't be able to be picked up anymore without gloves or something. I also imagine you would get bloody and dirty clothes extremely quickly. Maybe there would even be a special type of tag on clothes worn while handling desiccated corpses. Foul might work. Foul Clothing will act as a rotting corpse while either worn or on the ground. Would need some disinfecting agent and soap to clean. Alternatively, burning the clothing will remove the disease.

20 hours ago, TrailerParkThor said:

Read your other post, but I like this more in-depth version. It acts as a realistic downside to mowing down hundreds of zombies with explosives, vehicles, fire, or guns. You would need to invest A LOT of time into clearing out all the fresh corpses or else you wouldn't be able to return to the location later. It may still be pragmatic to leave them if you aren't planning to stay long, but imagine having to return later and then having to clean up the mess with a respirator. Maybe if the corpses have passed the rotting threshold, they won't be able to be picked up anymore without gloves or something. I also imagine you would get bloody and dirty clothes extremely quickly. Maybe there would even be a special type of tag on clothes worn while handling desiccated corpses. Foul might work. Foul Clothing will act as a rotting corpse while either worn or on the ground. Would need some disinfecting agent and soap to clean. Alternatively, burning the clothing will remove the disease.

My vision is that eventually, zombies would gradually decrease in the world after they become massive shambling hordes a month in. They would rapidly die off and the ones left would be evolved versions that are far more capable of hunting you, because you are a potential host that needs to be secured to the parasite that they are infected with. If it takes hundreds and hundreds of zombies to infect one new host when those types of hosts are the only ones left, the zombies WILL die off and the apocalypse will end. The cities would be full of poisoned air that cannot be safely traveled without protective equipment like masks, or even hazmat if the air is that badly biologically contaminated. Survival late game would look like a farmer running out of gardening tools, axes, firewood, game, ammunition, and supplies so he must find new grounds or supplies to live. He would be forced out of desperation to deal with the festering cities, roadways, and evolved zombies scavenging for signs of humans along roads to get tools and supplies he NEEDS for survival. He would either die, or succeed and live to die from less violent causes without zombies.  Maybe he will be bow hunting and he steps too close to a herd of wild boars that impale him and eat him. Maybe he has no antibiotics and hangs around corpses too much and dies of pneumonia.  Maybe evolved zombies see me traveling in a direction, lose sight of me, and decided to endlessly walk in that direction they last saw me walking in hoping I walk in a straight line to my home and they wait outside doors and windows making little noise. 

Zombies that can't reproduce have one ultimate logical conclusion; death. They aren't smart enough to hunt, or survive in the wilderness, nor are they capable of hunting game. They will draw out that conclusion for as long as they possibly can given their intelligence to work with. The zombie apocalypse would be a matter of humans surviving until this logical conclusion to the undead apocalypse.

I really love the basis of this idea (poisonous fumes and gasses, breathing masks), however making the dead zombies themselves give off the deadly fumes would, in my opinion, lead to a chore for the player to dispose of the corpses. A reasonable limits would have to be put in place, like how many dead zombies there have to be at one place to cause ill effects severe enough for the player to have to wear a mask.

This is just my personal preference, but I would much more like to see houses / buildings that have poisoned air in them for other reasons (leaking gas for example), where the player would have to use a gas mask in order not to pass out and die - the player obviously getting a fair warning through moodles well before these deadly effects would take place.

I also don't feel there is a need for a whole system of types of masks, oxygen tanks etc. The game is already fairly complicated as it is. Just my humble opinion. :) Otherwise, I dig the idea.

Edited by Aelipse