Suggestion for Mods and Items.

Hawthorn

In the past I worked on an Indie game that never got very far .. but one of the ideas we had was pretty damn amazing .. I share it with you now.

Every item in the game should be based off a common object that mod-makers can hook. To prevent menu clutter an option is not hooked then the menu to use it does not appear to the user.

So every in-game item has the 'potential':

• to equiped in either hand or both.
  • Worn on the back.
  • Used as a weapon.
  • Placed into containers
  • Act as a container.
  • Or be combined with any other item.

Every ingame item has hooks that can be modified

• When equipped
  • When used
  • Activated
  • Toggled On/Off
  • When dropped

The idea being that you can't anticipate what modders will do.

For example think of the following ideas:

• Make a sling for a rifle that when worn on the back increases accuracy.
  • Make the ability to sling multiple rifles on your back
  • Smother someone with a pillow
  • throw cans of beans at people.
  • Hollow out a book to hold something inside.
  • Use a rock as a hammer for nails.

I've been somewhat missing this when doing (or rather trying to do) mods and have the limitation of only weapon properties or food properties, so I do like the idea. Everything is already equippable in either hand so that's great, but the other stuff would be awesome too! Can you say if this would impact performance in anyway since all of the items would need to "check" their inheritance?

Also the combining with other items is done via the recipe system, so it's basically in. What I would like to see though is multiple outputs from a recipe... Would allow for example a gun disassembling mod and all sorts of other neat stuff.

Sorry but not everything here I agree with or think is even plausible. Wouldn't it require a complete redesign of how items currently work in the game? It seems like an enormous amount of work for something that not everyone is going to utilize.

I mean don't get me wrong I'm in support of the modding community but it just sounds a bit odd to me the way you describe it.

Edit: Because I just discovered that my 'tab' button posts my comment before it's ready o.o.