Sign in to follow this  
Artfactial

Music collection mod- CD's and Cassettes

I’m a big fan of BookMod, the collectible element to rummaging through bookcases and going after certain authors/genres for RPing is wonderful.
I have been thinking about doing a similar thing with collectible music, mainly CD’s and cassettes.
It would be, initially, without purpose as there is no functionality to CD-players (or existence of cassette-decks) but I figured, starting this up In anticipation of the functionally would be fun.

I’d like to add custom art for all albums, as that is a large part of the hobby, but am not sure how taxing this would be on the engine, I’d imagine it should be fine, just a decently large amount of work.

I’m new to Zomboid modding (though have been playing since the beginning) and don’t want to blow this up to a enormous project but this sort of thing might be a good way to get started.

Any tips, ideas, precautions?:)

Edit: Of course, I can't help myself but look into a way to make  custom functionality. Current idea: Have a recipe that requires a CD-player/Cassette-deck+Cd/Cassette(probably earplugs), than gain small happiness/boredom/stress bonus while listening. A duration could be put in, or a "page" system like the books have so that you can pauze/play, but that might be tricky, I don't know.

Edited by Artfactial

On 11/25/2019 at 12:16 AM, Artfactial said:

I’m a big fan of BookMod, the collectible element to rummaging through bookcases and going after certain authors/genres for RPing is wonderful.
I have been thinking about doing a similar thing with collectible music, mainly CD’s and cassettes.
It would be, initially, without purpose as there is no functionality to CD-players (or existence of cassette-decks) but I figured, starting this up In anticipation of the functionally would be fun.

I’d like to add custom art for all albums, as that is a large part of the hobby, but am not sure how taxing this would be on the engine, I’d imagine it should be fine, just a decently large amount of work.

I’m new to Zomboid modding (though have been playing since the beginning) and don’t want to blow this up to a enormous project but this sort of thing might be a good way to get started.

Any tips, ideas, precautions?:)

Edit: Of course, I can't help myself but look into a way to make  custom functionality. Current idea: Have a recipe that requires a CD-player/Cassette-deck+Cd/Cassette(probably earplugs), than gain small happiness/boredom/stress bonus while listening. A duration could be put in, or a "page" system like the books have so that you can pauze/play, but that might be tricky, I don't know.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1934920186

Here is a mod that adds CDs and functioning CD players to the game. There are only 3 CDs but each has several custom music tracks on them.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1934751140

This one make it so you can play those handheld videogames you find in closets and dressers.

You should be able to use these mods as a base to make your own, or send a message to the maker of these mods and maybe he will throw a few tips your way.

Edited by leon2356

Oh wow, I knew about the videogame mod, but hadn't seen the Cd one yet. Should probably have checked beforehand. I have about 200 Cd items ready so that'll be a nice base to experiment on the implementation.

Thanks a lot! I will check them out, see how easy they would be to appropriate and contact the authors!:D