java.exe crash on connection to server

argenex

I'm probably really crazy, but I have setup a system to just handle my tiny little dedicated server for myself and occasionally 1 other player. The reason I'm doing this is because the screen freezing constantly is atrocious when running both the server and client on my primary system, and causes teleporting zombies and death.

Whenever I try to connect to my server on the other machine, java.exe crashes.

Attached is the log file.

I literally built this little system today, so I am guessing I am missing a library file or something, but I do have java 8 installed and I did run the VSRs already. The server starts up fine, it's just as soon as I connect java.exe crashes.

I tried lowering the memory since this is a 32bit system, doesn't seem to care, crashes anyway.

Any tips to resolving this would be great,

thank you.

19b0_appcompat.txt

That a Steam log file?

Try running the bat file for the server (start-server.bat) then screencap the resulting error. It should remain open when the server crashes. Maximize it to get as much as possible. herr_pid*.txt files may also be created in the server directory which could be helpful.

Most likely it'll be VCRedist-related, if it's not a RAM issue. VCReidst 2015 does need to be installed -- you can find this in your Steam/steamapps/common/ProjectZomboid/_CommonRedist/2015/ folder.

There is no error in the cmd window, java.exe crashes in windows. That is a windows error report.

What happens in the cmd window, is the server just ends and it returns to the directory prompt.

I Did install the VCR stuff.

I am using the 32bit Batch file.

I'm using the Dedicated Server download version from steam.

I am disabling steam however as it's on a different system, and disabling on the clients who connect as well.

Java.exe is just crashing as soon as anyone connects to it, and spitting out that exception code text file.

The server isn't creating any log files for me to see any other possible reasons why.

9 hours ago, Butter Bot said:

Can you screenshot the console at the point where the Windows error dialog box comes up, assuming it remains up?

>logfile 2>&1

Adding that to my batchfile causes the server to never start, so whatever that is, isn't correct.

This is what my batch file looks like, again it is the downloaded dedicated server for project zomboid.

=========

@setlocal enableextensions
@cd /d "%~dp0"
SET PZ_CLASSPATH=java/jinput.jar;java/lwjgl.jar;java/lwjgl_util.jar;java/sqlite-jdbc-3.8.10.1.jar;java/uncommons-maths-1.2.3.jar;java/
".\jre\bin\java.exe" -Dzomboid.steam=0 -Dzomboid.znetlog=1 -Xms768m -Xmx768m -Djava.library.path=natives;./ -cp %PZ_CLASSPATH% zombie.network.GameServer

=========

Again, I am in a command window, I run the batch file, if someone connects, java.exe crashes, the command window returns to the command line prompt. There is no error.

There really isn't another way to explain that "It isn't generating an error other than the windows exception fault". At this point I feel like I am repeating myself redundantly.

Attached is what is in the command window, which yet again, DOES NOT generate any error message, enjoy;

PZcmdwindow-noerror.txt

Below is a photo of the moniter; again this is all I get as for error codes and information. Sadly this forum seems to be extremely restrictive when it comes to adding files and images so this was the only way I can share the screen photo:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8_l_dHL1B3SM0xRRWs0ems0LUs4UlhPSS15Rkt5ZEcwb2JR/view?usp=sharing

Edited by argenex
trying to add a screenshot but this forum refuses to let me.

Thanks for the screenshot / dump of the console up to that point. It's hard to draw conclusions from it, though.

The server is crashing because Steam's currently down.

The change above dumps the entire contents of the to a log file. I get that there's no error in th econsole, but I need to at least know where it fails after you've accepted the Windows error; there'll be no output in the console because it dumps directly to a file called "logfile."

Without this, I can't really help you further as I need some clue as to what's going on -- Windows XP's error report just isn't good enough for this.  I've attached the modified bat file that does work and outputs that file. Just place it in the installation directory and double-click it to run after Steam's back up.

Ultimately, if this proves unhelpful, the next step will be to try out the IWBUMS branch on the dedicated server. It rolls back VCRedist from 2015 to 2013.

StartServer32_modified.bat

I'm not using steam, it's disabled. I'm able to play just fine on my other machine. 

I am however waiting for steam to come back to try and reinstall it on that machine again.

Sadly when I run your modified bat file, it loads the server up and again generates the same exact issue as the before.

here is the logfile

logfile

2 hours ago, Butter Bot said:

Yep, misread Steam is not enabled, and you're on Build 36 as well -- damn.

Try this modification:

zombie.network.GameServer -cachedir=C:\Zombiod

Perhaps it'll sidestep whatever's going on with that servertest.ini file.

Did that, still generating the same java.exe problem soon as anyone connects.

10 minutes ago, Butter Bot said:

Not much else I can suggest then. It really depends on whether other people report the same issue at this point, but we no longer have many people that use Windows XP. :(

Yea, not going to buy a new computer anytime soon and none of these boxes laying around will handle 7.

I probably should have just installed linux... enough of the "oh gotta buy new junk every year cause we want moneys" going on as it is.

Edit:

It wouldn't be so bad if people would stop not hosting old files; I think the reason java.exe is crashing is because it's java 8.

Edited by argenex

Doh. Must be something else then. I'll try a bunch of things and if I figure out what is causing it I will report back. Probably going to take several days as I am probably going to throw some hardware changes in and I might install linux instead.

Thank you very much for the help and happy holidays.