Strange CPU load.

ricky

Question

This is a issue which has been around a while for me.

Every now and then. A random lag spike appears on my server. I took a Screenshot so you can see what i mean.

This is only 14 players online. Yet the CPU just goes 100% on ALL cores for 1~2 seconds. You don't see it at 100% on the first core in this picture because I only Enabled PZ on the last 3 core. Else performance for the OS degrades if this lag spike occurs

CPU.png

It causes zombies to pause for a second. Other than that they are super smooth.

The Task manager you see there is from a computer with these specs.

CPU: Intel Core i5 3550 @ 3.30GHz

Motherboard: Asus P8C Work Station

RAM: 16GB Crucial DDR3 1600mhz

SSD: Samsung 830 pro. -I use RAMdisk for map files. ~Swapped between RAMdisk and SSD and no change with this issue.

-Lastly nothing is overclocked this is a very stable workstation.

I would also like to point out I can replicate this on 3 other computers with completely different hardware and operating system and this problem still exists and i'm not seeing anything in the server console/logs when this happens.

Any input would be appreciated i'm at a loss. -Thankyou! :)

4 answers to this question

So i was hoping to get an official response about this? whenever you guys have time, it would be much appreciated. I'm currently running 2, 20 slot servers, which are not under any stress and run on different dedicated machines, 1 Intel on Windows Server 2008 and 1 AMD on Windows Server 2012. However over time they develop this lag when a new player joins and it feels unfair to open the server to more people so this lag happens more frequent. I'll also just add that these 2 servers also have a dedicated 100Mbit download/upload connection. But it's clearly CPU that's under stress, I've also ran a Minecraft server on the AMD with mods/plugins for 60~100 people daily and there was never this much stress all of a sudden.

I asked someone about it and they said it sounds like the "map call function".

Archived