shadow and dynamic light

jack11l

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if this wasn't implemented, but it would be cool to see buildings cast shadows that players could hide in, reducing the chance for zombies to see you. I can imagine it would be difficult to implement due to the way the field of view works though, among other things.

Shadows don't work quite like you'd expect in an isometric scene. Every shadow would be infinitely long, for instance, meaning every pixel in the scene would end up being in the shadow of some object somewhere.

Without context, that makes no sense at all.

All the 'most simple' shadow algorithms (such as volumetric or ray-cast) can be implemented in an isometric scene without any "infinitely long" troubles arising in either 2D or 3D.

Even a hack-together solution of pseudo-volumetric shadows from sprite 'heights' would work just as well in isometric as it would in perspective or orthographic projection.

How do shadows work not "quite like you'd expect" in an isometric projection, compared with any other projection in video games?

Edit: I'm not too sure just how accessible shading, shadowing, and lighting is via PZ's LUA interface. At a guess, you'd be changing core game files to make something like this into a mod.