Friends can't connect - tried FAQs and Google, port forwarding, turning firewall on and off

Mogechi

Question

I changed DefaultPort to 7777 in servertest.ini (because the default values didn't work at all) and port forwarded 7777 UDP and 7778-7841 TCP.

This is what I get on my server console when my friend (Dogeko) attempts to join.

*** SERVER STARTED ****
server is listening on port 7777
User Dogeko is trying to connect.
Connected new client Dogeko ID # 0 and assigned DL port 7778
testing TCP download port 7778
TCP port test: accept() timed out, client will have to try again

Then I turned windows firewall off and got a different message:

User Dogeko is trying to connect.
Connected new client Dogeko ID # 0 and assigned DL port 7778
testing TCP download port 7778
java.net.SocketException: Socket operation on nonsocket: configureBlocking
        at java.net.DualStackPlainSocketImpl.configureBlocking(Native Method)
        at java.net.DualStackPlainSocketImpl.socketAccept(DualStackPlainSocketIm
pl.java:141)
        at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.accept(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:
398)
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.accept(PlainSocketImpl.java:198)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.implAccept(ServerSocket.java:530)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.accept(ServerSocket.java:498)
        at zombie.network.PlayerDownloadServer$2.run(PlayerDownloadServer.java:6
91)

The in-game error message he got was "Failed connection to TCP download port 7778"

I tried connecting to my own server via public IP with port 7777 in the box and I received the exact same results as my friend.

I don't have an antivirus installed so now I'm sitting here stumped.

Using Windows 8.1 64-bit

post-21366-0-86553100-1424150376_thumb.p

8 answers to this question

Just figured this out for myself.  Forward the player ports as TCP only, but forward the port the server is running on on both TCP and UDP.  Connect to your own server using your Local IP, too.

Just tried this for the hell of it; it didn't work for me. :(

Probably right, I'm trying it now.

EDIT: My friend can't join but I can join my own server using my public IP and I get assigned TCP 7778.

KEDjvU4.png?1

My friend says he freezes up for a bit before receiving the same error message "Failed connection to TCP download port 7778" or "Failed connection to TCP download port 7779" when I was in my own server.

Error:

*** SERVER STARTED ****server is listening on port 7777User Dogeko is trying to connect.Connected new client Dogeko ID # 0 and assigned DL port 7778testing TCP download port 7778TCP port test: accept() timed out, client will have to try again

Archived