Mac Servers?

ScubaSteve

I have an OSX server than I can switch on, if any Mac users want to try it.

You'll have to PM me for the IP address though... and I can't promise it'll work straight off the bat.

Hi friend how can I get the IP so I can try your server? I'm a mac user

Thanks to those of you who dropped me a PM asking if I'd gotten an OSX server up and running. I've replied to all of you individually, but just to clarify what I wrote before, and to head off any more enquiries on this, I'll say here that I've put the server on hold until build 25 is out.

If anyone HAS gotten an OSX server running they're keeping very quiet about it, I suspect that they number in the single digits, if that. I ran into issues with cell info not being passed correctly to clients, which threw up the following issues:

containers were empty, nothing to pick up anywhere

Zombies were totally absent ("apocalypse never")

Cells beyond the spawn location do not load (black walls in every direction)

I might also have to change my modem since it's one my ISP issued me a few years ago and it might not be fit for running a server in 2014. Incoming connections have been erratic, I've noticed. Apple products play nicely together but other brands' devices don't always do so.

Anyway, someone smarter than me once said that a good working definition of insanity is repeating the same experiment over and over but expecting different results. So I figure that changing at least one variable is necessary for success. In my case I'm going to wait for build 25 and see if that makes the difference. If not, then I'll pony up for a new modem and/or router and see where that takes me.

Thanks for your understanding and I look forward to playing MP with you folks (Mac and otherwise) real soon, I hope.

Archived