23 minutes ago, Erkinwine said:

Can someone tell me what sort of factor the refrigerator has on food spoilage?

Thank you.

UR A REFRIGERATOR!

Okay, I don't exactly know.... But my food does not spoil untill after everything goes out, so I don't exactly know, like I said.

That will depend on the setting (both refrigeration effectiveness and food spoilage).  I play casual sandbox settings (very easy, but with lots of zombies spawning).

At very high refrigeration effectiveness and very low food spoilage, I've not seen a single rotten piece of food after 2 months and 13 days except for 1 banana (rotten) and 2 avocado (just not fresh... but not rotten).  I suspect those have stayed a bit too long inside a bag before being put inside the refrigerator or maybe a bug.

As for you, assuming your playing normal settings, I'd wager around a 100% life expectancy increase : but I have no data to back that up!

Unless others are stepping up with more usefull info, I suggest you start a game for the sole purpose of testing that.  Use sandbox 15 minutes day, speed time up like crazy and see for yourself :) Warning, not all food spoil at the same rate, so it may be usefull data to note wich one is when.  Also, comparison with same food type refrigerated or not is also a good idea.  Hope you get to Giga Mart for that test ;)

Edit : And sorry I could not be more usefull.

Every item spawns in, if I recall correctly, when you see it. You can also set respawn on, which is especially useful on busy MP servers. Once spawned, it's basically got a countdown, on each item, beyond which you'll see rotten food.

Fridges only slow the rotting process, they don't stop it. In fact, even freezers only slow it, in game as in real life. When the power goes out, the fridges & freezers map-wide stop working, which causes all the food remaining to rot at the fastest possible rate from their current state (though not instantly), and the spawning process takes this into account.

@kirrus I beleive OP's intention was to know what was the actual (number wise) benefit of refrigerator.  As I suggested, a few test will give that answer (but not from me... I'll not open that box). I remember seeing in a patch note or mondoid that freezer were about 1/25 or 1/30 speed of decay. I understand you won't open that box either.  Suffice to say fridge increase food life span.

As for real life, some food may be worse off in fridges because of it's enclosed space nature.  I'm thinking about banana and other Climateric fruits that age due to Ethylene build up.  Some food age quicker in enclosed space then they do in cold temperature.  But I fully understand this is not a science/physic generator ;) Some rough approximations are well more then ok :) (I can name a few of my projects that died because I wanted them to be 100% accurate).

3 hours ago, kirrus said:

Every item spawns in, if I recall correctly, when you see it. You can also set respawn on, which is especially useful on busy MP servers. Once spawned, it's basically got a countdown, on each item, beyond which you'll see rotten food.

Fridges only slow the rotting process, they don't stop it. In fact, even freezers only slow it, in game as in real life. When the power goes out, the fridges & freezers map-wide stop working, which causes all the food remaining to rot at the fastest possible rate from their current state (though not instantly), and the spawning process takes this into account.

So wait, if you spend all your time in Muldraugh, the power goes out, and a year later you can go to West Point for the first time and find fresh food?

10 hours ago, MyTJ said:

@kirrus I beleive OP's intention was to know what was the actual (number wise) benefit of refrigerator.  As I suggested, a few test will give that answer (but not from me... I'll not open that box). I remember seeing in a patch note or mondoid that freezer were about 1/25 or 1/30 speed of decay. I understand you won't open that box either.  Suffice to say fridge increase food life span.

As for real life, some food may be worse off in fridges because of it's enclosed space nature.  I'm thinking about banana and other Climateric fruits that age due to Ethylene build up.  Some food age quicker in enclosed space then they do in cold temperature.  But I fully understand this is not a science/physic generator ;) Some rough approximations are well more then ok :) (I can name a few of my projects that died because I wanted them to be 100% accurate).

Don't have the raw numbers available, only the generics. One of the devs, probably RJ, would be able to give the numbers.. but it's more fun with some unknowns ;)

7 hours ago, Millitron said:

So wait, if you spend all your time in Muldraugh, the power goes out, and a year later you can go to West Point for the first time and find fresh food?

Nope, the system takes into account global time since game start, and power status

55 minutes ago, kirrus said:

(...)

Nope, the system takes into account global time since game start, and power status

Exactly :)

That's also why if you go to a food market after a few days, all the non refrigerated food will be rotten.

Thank you all for your help. I was looking for something like a generic ratio, like +50% or double. Something like that. The Wiki is rally good and listing the times for different foods to go stale or to rot.

With nutrition turned on, it would be nice to have a general idea, the same way the character would, who lives in this world. I have no problem suspending my understanding of real world physics in exchange for zomboid physics. If refrigerating a banana slows the spoilage rather than speeding it up, that's the mechanics of the world in which the character lives - sort of like dead people wondering around trying to kill him.

I don't think I've spent more than 5 minutes in the sandbox, because I'm really interested in the "feel" for the actual vanilla experience. I always play with "First Week" and on "Normal" settings, because this is the gaming experience that the average new player will get (after trying once or twice at "Initial Infection). As such, I have yet to survive to week 4, though on a few occasions, I have racked up more than 300 kills. After the second week, I find the challenge to improve the character's safety, while appeasing the "Psychotic Director" quite enjoyable. This has got to be one of the best, yet least expected, features. I've been playing for about a year, now, and I'm really addicted. Each launch of a new build brings additional challenges and new joy to the experience.

Those of you who download the beta and test new features deserve a great deal of appreciation from folks like myself who lack the patience or time to do so. Everyone please keep up the good work. This is a fantastic project. When NPCs are finally turned loose on the hapless players, the whole world will be turned upside down, and I for one will be effervescent.

Archived