[41.78.16] [Singleplayer] Uneven Shadow Distribution on Furniture Due to Lighting Issue

Laytep

image.thumb.png.39f479fb12596260350a23e585a2a46a.png

• Version: 41.78.16 (Steam)
  • Singleplayer/Multiplayer: Singleplayer
  • Mods: No
  • Old or new save: New save
  • Reproduction steps:
    1. Enter a room with furniture during daylight hours.
    2. Observe the shadows cast by the lighting within the room.
    3. Notice that the shadows on furniture, such as beds, are unevenly distributed, creating a block-like rendering effect rather than a smooth shadow.

The term I suspect you're looking for is 'blending' (or 'blended textures') rather than 'smooth shadow', however you have to consider the User Interface doesn't just depict light sources, but also the visibility of objects (objects that cannot be seen by the character are either desaturated or darkened, so it is a combination of light + visibility; note your character is looking away from the bed). That said, in a conventional programming sense, a bug is defined as something that results in an unintended result or outcome, rather than simply 'these textures don't look pretty' (that is to say, the textures would need to interfere with normal gameplay or behave really unexpectedly).

If a request is for an improvement in graphics, it is probably best filed under suggestions, along with the type of graphical rendering you think should happen. That said, the shadows seem to have been around for a few years, look to be a part of the 'tile design' of Project Zomboid, and I suspect the team have a lot on their plate, so I wouldn't assume anything will happen too soon.

That said, keep up the bug hunting (and reporting)!

Edited by SilentLight