"portable" save / broken save

str

Question

Hello,

I have a save file that I've played on 2 different PCs. I'm using just a couple of mods, same mods on both PCs (double checked).

When I would finish playing on PC1, I would copy the save folder to a stick, then paste into PC2, and so on.

The save name is 08-01-2024_05-05-25. 

Now when I tried to play on PC 2, the save is gone (not the folder from PC2, but the in-game save). In it's place, there are 2 new saves named "radio" and "isoregiondata". Can't load any of them.

In the beginning I thought that there was an error when copying files from PC1 to PC2, so then I got back to PC1, the save loaded with no problems. 

I've tried to copy again the save, and when I got back on PC2, the same thing happened (2 saves with radio and isoregion data).

Any ideas on what to do ? 

6 answers to this question

Are you certain that you copied all the files from the save to the stick?
And can you make sure that you are copying it to the exact same location on the other PC that you got it from the original PC? The radio and isoregion folders need to be in the save folder, they are not save folders themselves.

Hello,

Yes, I'm certain all the files have been copied, because I've tested it.

Copy save from PC1 (working save) to stick

Copy from stick to PC2 - save doesn't work

Copy same above same from stick to PC1 (made a backup on PC just in case) - save works.

The path I'm copying C:\Users\medrom3\Zomboid\Saves - medrom3 stands for user on this PC (not actual folder name), this is the only thing that is different from PC1 and PC2.

So the radio and isoregiondata folders are in folder C:\Users\medrom3\Zomboid\Saves\08-01-2024_05-05-25 - and the save name is 08-01-2024_05-05-25.

I've uploaded a screenshot of folder, just in case :)

I figured the different pathing should not be an issue, since it worked in the beginning when I was able to copy save and play on both PCs

Also tried verifying game, and reinstalling, that didn't help.

Many thanks,

folder.jpg

Hello,

Sorry for long time to answer, internet problems :)

The initial save I was talking about is too big to attach.

I made another one, and have the same issue.

I've archived the new save, and a screenshot of how the game sees the save files, and a screenshot of how my save folder looks like.

It's not a persistent issue for me anymore, because I won't be able to play on 2 PCs in the near future anyway. 

But still, I would like to know how to deal with my issue in the future, when I will be able to play again.

If I can give you any more info, please let me know.

Many thanks, 

20240118083441_1.jpg

screen3.png

str.rar

As the images show below, I simply extracted the "str" folder to the User\Saves\Sandbox folder and I was able to correctly load into the save. Your screenshot above seems to show that you instead have the isoregion folders extracted in that folder, which would be incorrect. Try extracting it as I have done into the Sandbox folder and not extract the contents of the folder itself, as that should fix the issue.

image.pngimage.png

image.png

Boy, do I feel stupid, like really really stupid.

You are correct, I somehow deleted "Sandbox" folder, and was copy+paste-ing in "save" folder.

Many thanks, and sorry for wasting your time ! :)

Archived