Steam Deck save location

Grim469

Question

Hello. I have been playing the game on my PC and decided to take it on the road with my steam deck. 

I am having issues transferring save games back and forth. I have my save file from my PC on a USB but my when I copied it into my home/zomboid on my steam deck it does not appear in my game. 

I also noticed even though I have a saved game on my steam deck that I played separately from anything on my PC, its data is not in the home/zomboid save folder either, leading me to believe the steam deck saved data is stored somewhere else. 

Any help would be appreciated!

7 answers to this question

I had a look in the Deck desktop mode, the Zomboid folder was correctly created in the Home folder.
You can try using the search function if it does not show up for you, but the default install is set up by the game to always be in the Home folder of the user that launches the game.
If you somehow are launching it with Root privileges, it would be in the Root home folder instead.

10 minutes ago, Beard said:

I had a look in the Deck desktop mode, the Zomboid folder was correctly created in the Home folder.
You can try using the search function if it does not show up for you, but the default install is set up by the game to always be in the Home folder of the user that launches the game.
If you somehow are launching it with Root privileges, it would be in the Root home folder instead.

I did find the folder, but when I take the save folder from my PC and load it via USB onto my deck I cannot access it when in game. 

I’m pretty sure. What confuses me is the save game data from a character that is purely from the steam deck is not in the save file, but the character is being saved somehow.

For instance if I create a character on steam deck , play for five minutes, close the game and check the Home/Zomboid/Save file it’s empty. The same is true with the  root directory files. 

I can link some pictures if that would help. 

Could you share a picture of the Steam Library > Project Zomboid Properties > Compatibility tab to make sure you are not running the game in Proton? As the game is native to Linux, you should not use the compatibility mode.

Archived