Unable to use Fullscreen at all, results in black screen (loss of signal on monitor)

Orbit Storm

Question

When launching the game in Fullscreen mode, the screen remains black and the monitor displays "no signal". Minimizing the game restores the signal. I've tried editing Options.ini and setting Fullscreen to false, which allows the game to load normally, but when trying to set the game back to Fullscreen via the options page, the same issue occurs. Project Zomboid simply will not run in Fullscreen.

Have tried these troubleshooting steps as well:

• Deleting Options.ini
  • Deleting C:\Users\MyUser\Zomboid folder
  • Reinstalling Project Zomboid
  • Updating NVIDIA graphics drivers
  • Reinstalling NVIDIA graphics drivers
  • ... and of course, a simple reboot (multiple of those)

It's worth noting that PZ is the only game this is happening with. I've tried launching everything from old-school 2D applications to BG3, in varying window modes. PZ worked fine on this PC back in April. It's my wife's PC and I too hadn't played since April. Mine is a bit beefier but the game still works fine for me on the same graphics drivers.

Hardware:

• i7-8700K
  • RTX 2060 (NVIDIA GRD 546.33 and 546.17 previously)
  • 32 GB DDR4 @ 3800 MHz
  • Z370-A Pro Motherboard
  • ViewSonic XG270 Monitor
  • Installed on a 500GB WD M.2 Drive

I've attached the logs zip and console file. Game version is 41.78.16 (the latest).

console.txt logs.zip

4 answers to this question

That would sound like there is something wrong with the Windows / Monitor resolution, since borderless mode always just uses the Windows resolution of the monitor.
I would recommend changing your Windows resolution and then testing if that helps change the situation in that case.

Actually, this appears to be an ongoing issue with the monitor. With this ViewSonic, periodically the monitor will go black during reboot/startup and operate normally once the system reaches the lock screen. No firmware updates exist but unplugging the DisplayPort cable and plugging it back in tends to correct that for a few weeks. No idea what causes it, but we tend to overlook it when it happens because it's not a huge deal unless we need access to the BIOS.

Or, in this case, when attempting to play Zomboid. Yep, reseating that cable fixed the issue and not only does Borderless work fine, so too does Fullscreen. Never would've guessed that Zomboid would be the lone application affected by this.

Apologies for the confusion but thank you so much for taking the time to even review this.

Archived