My game keeps freezing and crashing mid-game.

Warx

Question

Hi

So as the title suggests, my game just keeps freezing / crashing midgame and I really don't know why, as the game worked in the past without any problems...

My computer stats are:

Processor: 8x Intel 4.00Ghz

Memory: 16Gb RAM

Grafics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti

I tried running the game in 32 bits, as an administrator, on lowest grafics and without any other application running in the background (including antivirus) but nothing helps... the game works fine and then suddenly freezes with the music playing on before crashing. When I reload the game my world gets reset to the last time my character slept or logged off.

I love your game and would really like to play it but this is ruining it for me :( please help

16 answers to this question

Ok I found it, here is the screenshot and the text if you need to translate it:

Das Programm ProjectZomboid64.exe Version 0.0.0.0 hat die Interaktion mit Windows beendet und wurde geschlossen. Überprüfen Sie den Problemverlauf in der Systemsteuerung "Sicherheit und Wartung", um nach weiteren Informationen zum Problem zu suchen.
 Prozess-ID: 7f0
 Startzeit: 01da285c39d07757
 Beendigungszeit: 7
 Anwendungspfad: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid\ProjectZomboid64.exe
 Bericht-ID: f1cb6a35-ac3e-4841-ae51-72ea2a92e8ed
 Vollständiger Name des fehlerhaften Pakets:
 Relative Anwendungs-ID des fehlerhaften Pakets:
 Absturztyp: Unknown

image.png

I also found this report and a quick google search told me that it might be a compatibility problem...

image.thumb.png.d0f372461aac1e94aee10dfb2c4757fb.png

in the properties of the game compatibility is set like this:

image.thumb.png.214a846e86b5a1b9cc2ee932b6958407.png

so maybe I have to run it differently?

So sadly the problem is still there... :(

However it improved quite a bit, as it crashes much less frequent now. The message I get from the reliability tool has changed also...

grafik.thumb.png.954dacd572f4afc46dbdde325bfafc91.png

Beschreibung
Aufgrund eines Hardwareproblems ist Windows nicht mehr voll funktionsfähig.

Problemsignatur
Problemereignisame:    LiveKernelEvent
Code:    141
Parameter 1:    ffff808dae6f4460
Parameter 2:    fffff8064c5ec188
Parameter 3:    0
Parameter 4:    1f38
Betriebssystemversion:    10_0_19045
Service Pack:    0_0
Produkt:    256_1
Betriebsystemversion:    10.0.19045.2.0.0.256.48
Gebietsschema-ID:    2055

Weitere Informationen über das Problem
Bucket-ID:    LKD_0x141_Tdr:6_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys_Kepler_3D

I get this message at the exact moment, project zomboid crashes.

I realized that as time goes by the game reaches its memory limit xD I don't know but the folder where you save your game data is getting heavier. One thing that truly improves performance is lowering the quality of the water and the fog are usually the most annoying

It seems like just a very generic unresponsiveness error, it can basically mean that you closed it while it was frozen for a moment.
Can you try switching the game to windowed mode and see if the freezing happens then?
Additionally, are you running any other applications while the game is running?

The only thing I can find about that is this:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/all/lkd0x141tdr6imagenvlddmkmsyskepler3d-crash/0dc37400-7f7f-459e-bf7a-9e85bbe5516d

It seems to be related to the Nvidia driver, or the Nvidia Experience task running in the background. You could try uninstalling your Nvidia driver + Nvidia Experience, and then doing a fresh install without it from the Nvidia website to see if that helps.

No, nothing runs in the background and I tried running it windowed too but...

I think I found the problem anyway. The problem signature was PCA 2, so I guess some problem with compatibility, I tried running the game with compatibility mode for windows 8 and so far, I haven't had any crashes anymore. image.thumb.png.f2d90b7c06c19ac1fb9b6faf77fdb8b7.png

I will test further and if the problem reoccurs I will let you know but I am optimistic.

Thank you very much for your help, that windows reliability monitor is a great tool that I wasn't aware of.

Now I can finally go and find out, how I died ;) :) :) :)

It looks like the last 5 logs are all run in 32 bit mode, we do not recommend the 32 bit mode for standard gameplay. Does the issue happen even when starting the game normally? Can you share the logs again after replicating the issue there?

So after a week of playing I didn't have any crashes anymore. I reinstalled the nvidia driver and ran the game in window mode and it finally works now. The crashes do still appear when I run the game in fullscreen or borderless window mode tho. But at least I can play now :) thanks again for your help :) :) :)

All the latest logs just show you normally exiting out of the game as far as I can see. Do you get any message when the freeze / crash happens? What do you do when it freezes?
Additionally, can you share the latest “hs_err_pid” file found in your main game folder “Steam\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid”?

The game freezes (music playing on) then when I click my mouse the screen goes grey / foggy and windows tells me that the game doesn't respond anymore and gives me the options to either close the game or to wait for it to respond, which it never does...

I can't find that file tho, is it in a subfolder?

If the file does not exist it would mean that the game itself does not crash, but something else causes the game to freeze.

In that case, can you check the Windows Reliability monitor for any ProjectZomboid application crashes there? If you do find any, can you share a screenshot of the Technical Details section so we can check the errors that show up there?

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3575353/troubleshooting-windows-10-with-reliability-monitor.html

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/sk-sk/000178177/how-to-use-windows-reliability-monitor-to-identify-software-issues

Archived