server IP address keeps changing, project zomboid v41.78.16, my dedicated server

cockneynutjob

Hi everyone,

Just joined this group as i have a slight problem,

Ive just built a small dedicated server for me and 2 friends, i used serverjockey's build to achieve this and it works great!! (Separate to my pc, i dont play from the server)

However i noticed the other day that the server IP address changed, and we had to update the IP address on the join fuction in game so we could join,

I had already made my character before the IP change, and my character wasn't affected, my friends made theres after the change.

I have 2 questions:

When this IP changes again will my 2 friends characters be affected. (and how to fix this)

Can i setup somthing with a service like duckdns which i know doesn't stop the IP change but would that stop the updating of the IP in the game host section and combat if player characters are affected?

If so would anyone help either direct me to a how 2 for Linux or would be willing to go through it with me?

My project zomboid build is 41.78.16

Many thanks

If you do not have a fixed IP address from your ISP, it'll change either on a specific timeframe or every time you connect/disconnect (depending on how it's set up). They can usually be bought for a fairly low monthly fee, unless they try to force you onto a business account.

A cheaper alternative may be self-hosting it with either a VPS, dedicated server, or a one of many servers that sell servers by player slots for the game.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about DuckDNS, so am unsure if that'll help or not, but you can use a domain name instead of an IP. Just note that the game won't save this IP when someone favourites it. They'll have to re-enter the domain name every time they connect. They will lose some data that's still stored client side in /saves/multiplayer/ip_username folders like the map they've drawn. They can, however, copy it to the new folder with the new IP address to get it back.

So to connect, every time, they'd have to erase the IP and type myserverdomain.com instead.