Tracking the cause of hangups- buffer overrun

thiosk

Hello, 

I don't have a fully clean game install, as I've been using a couple of mods. Nevertheless, I have found a semirecurring hangup in game. This causes the game to run frozen for quite some time and be unresponsive, however, the music will play, and eventually, it will recover and work correctly. 

Checking the log_5.txt file in the debug, I found

17-10-23 01:27:23.637] ERROR: General     , 1697520443637> SpriteRenderer$RingBuffer.next> Buffer overrun..

This usually lasts 5-10 minutes and then the game starts again and i exit. It seems to happen mostly in longer games. 

I shut down the mod (a cheat menu that i used to use for clearing disasters) as the game was taking abnormally long to load, and I followed a guide to increase the ram utilization on the projectzomboid32.json file per some googling, 

any suggestions or insight for this spriterenderer error would be appreaciated

thanks beard,

it was only the cheat menu and the necroforge mod, both disabled, and the hangups still occur randomly

it hasn't crimped my style because ive been mostly powerleveling the exercise... but if it happened in combat it would almost certainly result in death

Edited by thiosk

you got it! thanks

For context after disabling the two mods in question I quested once more, and suffered hangups every few minutes

edit: of course the weird buffer overflow error i noted appears aabsent but i leave it to you to identify weirdness.

strangly, the pauses would happen doing things like cooking, exercising, or even after pressing escape and tabbing away for a while to tab back and find it frozen. But waiting always lets it pick back up. I've seen this before but its never been clear what was precipitating it, but it occurs to me it usually happens in longer lived worlds. I'm currently at 3 months in

cheers

logs.zip

Edited by thiosk

Heres a second log file. I played uninterrupted for an hour then a hangup lasted an hour.

However, I think it might have been an issue with hardware. I was hearing usb connect/disconnect periodically (i've ignored it) but trusting a hunch i started unplugging hardware. I unplugged the keyboard and BOOM the game continued just fine.

Thus i think its a hardware conflict interacting with the game in a weird way. I have a corsair keyboard with fancy memory buttons

logs.zip

Thanks, the logs themselves look perfectly fine without any errors. Driver seem up to date, hardware is also fine, so I cannot find anything wrong with the game itself.

The input issue would be a good lead, do you perhaps have any Corsair software running in the background? Maybe that may be causing the issues with the game instead of the keyboard itself. I assume the software is needed to configure the memory buttons.

doesnt seem to be, but the constant connect/disconnect on this old keyboard coinciding with the issue seems to be the origin rather than the game

thanks for examining things for me. im shopping for new mech keyboards now

appreciate the support

Gonna add RMA that keyboard if you can, If not don't buy corsair keyboards, they are so bad. I've had 2 break on me, with the money you shell out for a nice mechanical keyboard like that it should last more than a year.

Sadly no recommendations other than building your own if you want something that lasts and you can repair as needed.