Metalworking, craftable/castable axes and such.

legoman102040

As far as I know, this has not yet been suggestedIf someone has posted anything about Metalworking in a specific topic before me, please tell me, as I did not see any.

So, now I shall talk about this "Metalworking" and what I am going on with it.

I am talking molten Metalworking with welding (On a very small scale.) to cast molten metal for parts of something like one of those gates that the gun shop in West Point has. Then join all the parts by welding them together to create a gate that you can place on windows or open indoor areas where a wall might be able to fit. Metalworking would go perfectly if some way to generate electricity is made later on to control some of the devices you make. (Such as the gate in the gun shop.)

Scrap metal could be used that you can find near construction sites, or ruined buildings. This would be used for crafting using Metalworking in conjunction with Carpentry to make an ax(e). Or some type of light or heavy armor. :o Two seperate skills in the game combined for one purpose?! How does that sound?

of course you doing it will not be nearly as good as professional made metal... Unless there may be a separate skill introduced in conjunction where if you are good enough you CAN make it as good as before the zombies.. Invaded? Killed everyone who had any skill in that area of expertise?...

I do not know how hard this might be to code, as I have no experience with coding/scripting. This is purely a suggestion.

Anything else that I, or someone else comes up with for this topic will be posted further down in my post, from here on. (If there is anything, which I am sure there will be.)

Welding is a maybe, but smelting is a definite no no. There's a long thread on the subject if you do a search. If you have any new points to add, do it preferably there.

EDIT: a link for you: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/4545-miningmetalworkingfishing/?hl=smelting

EDIT2: it seems that thread is locked so you can't continue there after all... But maybe there's a reason for that. ;)

Welding is a maybe, but smelting is a definite no no. There's a long thread on the subject if you do a search. If you have any new points to add, do it preferably there.

EDIT: a link for you: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/4545-miningmetalworkingfishing/?hl=smelting

EDIT2: it seems that thread is locked so you can't continue there after all... But maybe there's a reason for that. ;)

but then there still is the Blacksmithing thread wich could apply. And it's not locked

From the massive drama/argue ball of smithing and blacksmithing... I could see being able to smelt some metals into a sandcast mould working, and not much else. That is, being able to cast nails, axeheads and hammer/mallet heads. Swords and armour? Nah.

I only bring up those three items, as any form of metal you can melt at the low temperatures found in a homemade set-up would be pretty crap. Metal quality isn't that much of a concern when all you're making is a solid hunk of metal to bang things with :P

Honestly, I think a lot of people are missing something very obvious. The metal should be readily available. Abandoned cars, building framework, door hinges. You don't need a lot of high tech, nor even much skill to work with it. Just the right tools and some ingenuity. 

Learn to think like this; What have we already made? How can we re-purpose it?

We don't need a forge, just pliers, files, and hardware. The metal would exist, we're just bending, cutting, and binding it to suit a new purpose. You can make a very durable long knife out of the leaf springs of most trucks, using only pliers and a file. 

I could take bolt cutters, a file, and a scrap of metal (again, like the leaf spring from a ruined car) a plank of wood and two nails to make a very functional bow saw. 

Quality isn't going to be significantly worse than anything you'd find on the cheap side of a hardware store. The tools are fairly basic, and the parts to make them haven't evolved significantly since the discovery of alloying. 

Ironically, small things that we need a lot of are the impractical part. The big stuff we only need once or twice is the easy part. 

Now I presume a bit much, but if I were the architect, I'd design it kind of like this; 

Quality of metal

Good (EG; Car parts, building framework)  Base durability of item -25%

Average (EG; appliance scrap)                   Base durability of item -50%

poor (EG; door hinges, fencing material)    Base durability of item - 80%

Metalworking skill

0 - No modifier

1 - +5% durability

2 - +10% durability

3 - +15% durability

4 - +20% durability

5 - +25% durability 

So a level five metalworker using good quality metal would craft an item to rival what you'd get "off the shelf" at a local store. 

and here's a handful of recipe ideas

Saw

Ingredients - Metal scraps, plank, nails (2) 

Tools used - File, Hammer, Pliers

Skill needed - Metalworking 1

Knife 

Ingredients - Metal scraps, duct tape

Tools used - File, pliers

Skill needed - None

Axe

Ingredients - Metal scraps (4), Crowbar, Hammer

Tools used - File, Hammer (note this means two hammers, one as tool, one as material), pliers, fire

Skill needed - Metalworking 4

Sledgehammer

Ingredients - Metal scraps (4), crowbar (3)

Tools used - Hammer, pliers, fire

Skill needed - Metalworking 4

Metal quality based on lowest quality metal used. So 3x high quality and 1x low quality = low quality. The "weakest link", as it were.