I can't play multiplayer with a friend

dv.kalyn

I need help, I want to play with a friend.

We both are not added to Steam so I can't invite him to the game. 

I have created a dedicated server. I deleted everything in the save and server folder. Then I opened the ProjectZomboidServer.bat and created the password.

After that, I used Radmin VPN, my friend and I were on the same network.

I opened the game, and in the "join" tab I put the Radmin VPN IP, even I tried with my own IP, my name and password. Everything I did didn't work, and I just got the message that the server is not responding. 

How can I play with my friend :(?

First thing I'd check is if your router is blocking the ports. If you know how or can find out how, try logging in to your router and configure the port forwarding for Project Zomboid. Try checking the link below, and maybe looking around on Google or Reddit for port forwarding info for the game in case the wiki isn't updated.

You can also quickly check port blocking is a factor if your router has a setting to enable DMZ. You can briefly set it up and point it towards the IP address the system you are hosting the game on is assigned by your network (not your ISP, your internal network behind your router) however you do not want to do this for any length of time because it completely opens the target IP to everything without any protection, but doing it briefly to see if you're having an issue with port forwarding is probably fine, provided you're on your own private network.

If you're not sure what you're internal IP is and you are using Windows, you can go to the "Run" menu and type in "cmd" and in the prompt type "ipconfig" and look towards the bottom for Ethernet Adapter, it'll probably be something like 192.168.X.XX

https://pzwiki.net/wiki/Dedicated_server

Personally I don't use my VPN while gaming because it usually introduces latency and such so I can't help you there.

EDIT: If you want to easily check your external IP, the one that other players will probably need to connect to you can go to www.whatismyip.com

Archived